Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Project Blue Bird

TrueBlue

Hey folks, I'm new here, but have been around cars my whole life. Like most of you, probably turning wrenches on out in the driveway with our Dads. Well, after 20 years or so of talking about building a car together, we're finally doing it. My dad being around 75 and not quite as able to do the heavy lifting he used to when I was little, so this is something I'm determined to get it done so he can enjoy it.
We are building a 60's style 23, with a touch of track influence. The only thing we've decided so far is the engine. I'm a Cadillac guy personally, and pretty much all I've driven in my adult life. So we went the 472 Caddy Motor as the heart of the build.
I'd really like some suggestions as far as body and frame goes. Ive searched and searched, and searched some more, on all of the page sponsors sites as well as Speedway and others, and I still can't decide.
The only thing were set on is a bucket only, no bed, with if possible a Model A rear member, which I can install myself if I can't get it done otherwise. And we'd prefer some stretched version.
I like RPMs big boy body, just not sure if it'll look too large with the look I'm going for. Spirits extended body seems the best for me and its only like 5 inches. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

B

Welcome to the world of bucket heads I have a Spirit stretched ‘23. I was impressed with their quality and service and highly recommend them.

Welcome, TB. I think you'll find this to be an community of encouragement for your build. Hope to see pictures of your progress soon. :thumbsup:

I would recommend the "big boy" body from R.P.M ( Ron Pope Motorsports ). The cowl area is 10"s longer & the whole body is 6"s wider. The body is available with a door on the passenger's side or no doors at all. Ron Pope also makes a frame to fit his "big boy" body. He also makes a windshield frame for the "big boy" , it's 20"s high.

I would recommend the "big boy" body from R.P.M ( Ron Pope Motorsports ). The cowl area is 10"s longer & the whole body is 6"s wider. The body is available with a door on the passenger's side or no doors at all. Ron Pope also makes a frame to fit his "big boy" body. He also makes a windshield frame for the "big boy" , it's 20"s high.
Yea I kinda like the idea of him being in Tennessee as well...just about an hour or so drive from Kentucky. I checked out your post, it’s killer

Early Cadillac's had a hood ornament that was known as ," the flying lady". The first t bucket that i attempted to build many years ago , had a 429 c.i.d Cadillac engine. I called it ," The Flyin' Lady ". I had a 3d face with long flowing hair on the cowl, The hair went across both sides of the cowl & flowed back along the sides of the body. I was going to paint the whole 3d mural in silver to mimic the early caddie hood ornament. I used the wrong material ( styrofoam ) to create my mural. I should've used polyurethane foam. So , the whole effort was a bust.

Early Cadillac's had a hood ornament that was known as ," the flying lady". The first t bucket that i attempted to build many years ago , had a 429 c.i.d Cadillac engine. I called it ," The Flyin' Lady ". I had a 3d face with long flowing hair on the cowl, The hair went across both sides of the cowl & flowed back along the sides of the body. I was going to paint the whole 3d mural in silver to mimic the early caddie hood ornament. I used the wrong material ( styrofoam ) to create my mural. I should've used polyurethane foam. So , the whole effort was a bust.
id love to see that...i'm planning on a few Caddy touches on this T with the motor and frenching some taillights in.

I didn't own a digital camera back in the days when i attempted to build the tbucket. Sorry , no photos. The 429 c.i.d. engine came from a 1966 Calais. The Calais also had a th 400 auto trans which was also used in my failed tbucket project.

Well, we've been busy working on gathering parts for the last month or so, and our frame and body came in from Spirit this week. Motor is at the machine shop, and picking up the tranny and rearend next week. So hopefully with a little luck we'll be starting to mock some stuff up soon. The old man is more excited than I am, can't you tell?

IMG_4589.JPGIMG_1340.JPG

A-n-t-i-c-i-p-t-i-o-n . . . . .

Those first few months waiting on the big parts and all the second guessing and consternation . . . . all gone when you have it in front of you

a new blank canvas for your dreams . .

Working on a Spirit '27 myself.

Having owned a number of Eldorado convertibles over the years, I wonder if you could have an extended frame, with the whole Eldo drivetrain in the rear and a long nose, dragster like body . . . but I digress

Like Spanky asked, how do you plan to mount your gas tank, or is that yet to be determined? I know you didn't want a bed, but have you thought about a turtle deck, could kind of dress it up a bit.

YOU NAILED IT SPANKY! That must be an old photo. I may have seen that one. There was a white one with a turtle deck and the radiator in the back. Some people just get it!!!

yea its going to be all exposed. Im going to do a 8 in. gas tank on top of the crossmember. it'll fit perfect there. I was concerned it was gonna be a little tight, but I'm digging it in my head.

How will you finish the rear of the bucket? Will you have an exposed gas tank? And tell us again what you'll be using for a power train?
Cadillac 472 from a 68'. hoping the spring over setup will allow the car to sit as it is in the pic, or a little lower. I've done the math lol,,and it measures out to be around that if I go with the medium transverse from speedway.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back