Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Question on Ford 9" rear end.

fastswg211

There are several versions of the ford 9 inch rear differential, One version does not have an oil filler plug, It has a flat spot on the driver side where most of the filler plugs are located, but it was never drilled and tapped by Ford at the factory. I'm wondering how fluid is added to this type of:rolleyes: rear end. Does anyone out there know of this? My axle housing has a drain plug on the bottem but also has no way to add oil.:neutral:

I can tell you, but you won't like it and you will need to know the capacity. You jack up one wheel and pull the axle. I used to encounter
this in my gear swapping days. I finally wised up and started drilling and
tapping the chunks if they did not have a plug. I think 67 Fairlanes had
a large plug in the back of the axle. That would look good chromed.

i run into this on the older "war" third members... i make a bung using a 3/8 pipe plug and weld it into the bottom of the housing for a drain...

for the fill i use those large fill bungs you can find in jegs or summit.. or i take a piece of 3/8 thick plate and drill and tap it 3/8 npt and weld it onto the center of the housing for a fill hole.. if im thinking right its been a few years since i filled a 9inch up, i think it takes 2 quarts or 2 1/2quarts.

Real early 9" housings had the filler in it, then Ford started putting it in the case and eliminating the housing fill. You just got lucky and got an early case and a late housing.

You can put a filler in the housing, and your problem is solved no matter what case you use.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back