Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

RADIATORS

I used the mustang rad, but I am also using a chevy rad shell, so might not do you much good.

But here are some measurement pics:

Width:
1%20nov%202010%20005.JPG_595.jpg

Tallest point:
1%20nov%202010%20004.JPG_595.jpg

Inside the Chev shell:

1%20nov%202010%20009.JPG_595.jpg

Since these were taken I had the fill cap relocated to the flat spot on the left side there.

Bob how does your radiator fit in the T shell? Does the shell cover it completely? My radiator measures 24" tall, and the 5" wide speedway T shell says it is 24 " tall, so I'm wondering how the fit is going to be. Considering using the 32 chopped shell but it's 28" tall, and afraid it will sit too high to match my cowl, because my frame will only be 6" from the ground up front. the 32 shell would be 24" above the frame, and the cowl only about 20". that won't look very good. So I'm hoping the T shell will fit it better.

Bob how does your radiator fit in the T shell? Does the shell cover it completely? My radiator measures 24" tall, and the 5" wide speedway T shell says it is 24 " tall, so I'm wondering how the fit is going to be. Considering using the 32 chopped shell but it's 28" tall, and afraid it will sit too high to match my cowl, because my frame will only be 6" from the ground up front. the 32 shell would be 24" above the frame, and the cowl only about 20". that won't look very good. So I'm hoping the T shell will fit it better.
The radiator fits the shell perfectly. It seems they were both definitely made to a standard size. Mine sat a little high in the chassis for me. The top of the shell and the top of the cowl were exactly the same. So I cut and re-welded the radiator mounting tabs 1-1/2" lower. Now it looks right to me. These pics are before I lowered it.

The radiator fits the shell perfectly. It seems they were both definitely made to a standard size. Mine sat a little high in the chassis for me. The top of the shell and the top of the cowl were exactly the same. So I cut and re-welded the radiator mounting tabs 1-1/2" lower. Now it looks right to me. These pics are before I lowered it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/304-Stainle...45-holes-/360602885413?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

I had considered using something like this perforated stainless as a rock shield. I think it would look great painted black, I just don't know how much air flow it would cut out. Get you some and try it out, and you can be our test subject! :thumbsup: That shell looks great on there. Where did you get your shell from, and I will know I'll be getting one that fits? And what width is the shell at the widest point? the outside of the mounting tabs where it sits on the frame? thanks for your help!

I got the shell from Spirit. I can get the measurements for you when I get home this evening.

That perforated sheet looks like it would block too much air, based on the photo anyway. It's hard to tell how big the holes are. I can't tell how close the pic was taken from.

I was going to try to find more of a heavy screen type of material or something like that but with bigger holes (more open area percentage). I'll know it when I see it...

Sorry it took so long for the measurements. Crazy night last night. Anyway, the shell is 19-7/8" wide on the inside. The opening is 18" wide x 17" tall. Forgot to measure the tabs but they are about 1-1/2"-2". I can get more exact later.

Sorry it took so long for the measurements. Crazy night last night. Anyway, the shell is 19-7/8" wide on the inside. The opening is 18" wide x 17" tall. Forgot to measure the tabs but they are about 1-1/2"-2". I can get more exact later.

Thanks Bob and appreciate the help. I just hope my radiator isn't too tall. it's 24" overall height. Width is perfect

Had a friend that had a bra made for his F-100 and the screen like window screen made the car overheat. It's all in the air flow.

What Old Round Fart Said! You need to protect the radiator, not obstruct its airflow. Screens will do that. Have you gone to the grocery store and seen the metal mesh shelves? Something on that order, or a expanded metal.
Your not gonna be able to stop everything thrown up by other cars and trucks, so you want something like the metal grid off the front of a big box fan, metal grill freezer shelves, you can even make your own with a MIG and some small tubing.

Metal mesh screen can be used, as long as its the bigger mesh. You need to be able to at least stick the end of a ballpoint pin thru it. Any smaller, it restricts air flow....

Form and function,
http://www.srpmstreetrods.com/srpm/...icing-ff8081811f929ee2011f94d193ba0160-p.html

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back