Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Rear kick up pictures pros and cons

Yep, the holes can be about 1/4 inch or so, just big enough for you to put a little weld down in that crater. All you are really doing is holding the backers in place long enough to slide the two rails together and get the real welds going. I wish I could take credit for that little trick, but I learned it from my Son Dan. Don't you just hate it when your kids start getting smarter than you. :eek::):)

Don

You always hope that your kids get smarter than you. But you really have to enjoy the teenage years when when they think they are smarter than you.

Eric

I just cut some "Z" bars out of some scrap 3/8" plate and welded them to the inside of the frame and then molded them in with bondo. My frame is 2x3x1/4 and prolly not really needed but I knew I was gonna have alot of HP and I like to play so why not.....

"molded them in with bondo"?
Won't that just crack away with the twisting and flexing that the frame will do?

I used an inner piece of steel on the joints for placement and strength. Good old plug welds / rosettes. :lol:
I'm thinking of using a couple of "fish plates" on the places where I didn't use the inner plate.

No, we fair in some of the gussets and brackets with body filler and there is no flex in those areas. If you have flex you have bigger problems than bondo coming out. :eek::)

Don

Ok..
I just expected that as the bondo really cured that any amount of flex would knock it off. You mean that a serious launch doesn't make for any torsional flexing at all? Wow...

Well, you figure, bondo sticks to body panels that flex a lot more than a frame would, like slamming a door shut. So if it holds up on that a frame should be no problem. Plus, you aren't putting it on thick, just a skim coat or some applied with a finger to welds, and mostly sanded back off.

Don

True enough!
I just never did that so it was the first thing that came to mind.
Goodness only knows that you and Dan turn out some fine stuff!!!

2x3x1/4" with 3/8" flat bar with a fillet weld 360 degree around it is gonna flex? Nope, been driving it for over 15 years and no bondo cracks in the molded areas.

One thing that is common to home built chassis is that they tend to be over built. Nothing wrong with that but a well prepped but joint will serve most builders beyond what they will ever ask of the chassis. JMO

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back