Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ron's '27 modifed build

It's been a busy week. All I got done on the project was to add the rear cross member assembly to the rail and fabbed up the tail light bracket.

The picture is of the 2 pieces of the frame mated together. Those with a sharp eye will see they are just tacked together. I haven't built a car with this much kick to the frame before so I'll have to do a mock up to see if 13 total inches is going to give me what I'm looking for. The crossmember in the center is only temporary. I always build one of these and stitch it to the rails before I finish weld the frame.

Here's the tail light bracket.

When I went o finish weld it with the tig, I found I was out of argon. Of course it's Saurday night so I won't be able to get a refill 'til tomorrow.

Going to build chuckt's replacement frame this week so I don't know how much time I'll get on the '27.

See ya'll next week.

Ron

Opps, pictures didn't post. Try again;

Ron, I really like that light bracket. Don't lose that design. I'd want one on each corner of the rear of the Speedster that is in my head.

Ron, what would be the normal/average height for the kick up, when using a Model A rear spring setup?

That taillight bracket is nice work. :cool:

There are a lot of things to consider when you set up an A spring on a car.

First is the theme of the car. If you're working on a nostalgia car, the spring might be mounted above the axle. Most of the time now they are mounted behind the axle. Then there is the type of mount and where you place it.Most of the mounts you find out there now are designed the locate the shackle about center on the back of the housing.

The Model A rear crossmember rises 3" above the top of the frame. If you mount it behind the axle, you are in effect lowering the rear of the chassis 4 to 4-1/2". If you use a dropped axle on the front with a reversed eye spring mounted over the axle and a suicide perch, you will drop the front at least 5-1/2". Then there is tire size and spring behind the axle in the front. These will all lower the front end even more.

Ron

Are you getting any shop time on this one lately?

No, I've been working on some other project for the last couple of weeks. The decks are clear now. This coming week is mine. Hope to have a roller by the end of next weekend.

Ron

Youngster said:
No, I've been working on some other project for the last couple of weeks. The decks are clear now. This coming week is mine. Hope to have a roller by the end of next weekend.

Ron

Looking forward to the updates, Ron.

I'm not having any luck with pictures today. Here's the rear crossmember, the cross member tacked to the rails, the tail light / license plate bracket and the frame mock up. I'll be posting some more in a couple of days.

Ron

OK...I'm still learning this 'puter stuff. Yesterday when I tried to post pictres, I found I didn't have enough space for my pictures. So I deleted some of my attachments, not knowing that would also remove them from the threads. So sorry. Can any one explain how I can get around this?

Ron

Do you post your pictures to PhotoBucket first?If so what ever there limit is ,is it.Now if you put your pics in another photo handling site you could rotate them some here some there.Does this make sense to ya?

Thanks Rick....I get it. Gotta practice the photo bucket thing I guess.

Ron

Just a quick up date. I went down to my friendly tire store tonight and picked up a pair of 335SR15's for the rear and a pair of 165SR15's for the front. I know, why so narrow for the rear? Well this is a modified and I don't think a wide tire would look right. May be later something like Don's WWW bias skins. When I got home, the UPS driver had dropped off my new gas tank from The Hot Rod Co. Real nice piece. Of corse, I'll have to rework it a little to meet my specs, but hey, that hot roddin' at it's best, right?

Let's see... where did I see that putrid yellow paint? Was it at Fleet Farm or was it Lowe's..or maybe........

Ron

Re: Ron's '27 modifed build...TKO

I'm going to back up here a bit. I've been trying to think of a name for the modified project. I tossed the idea out for some suggestions, but nothing really grabbed me. Then the other day at work while I was washing up, I found it on the soap dispenser. TKO...Technical Knock Out. That sorta works for me but... After some thought, I desided to use it, only being a hot rodder, you know, have to modify everything to suite my taste, I'm changing it to TKO...Technical Knock Off.

Ron

Here's the pictures for post #9;

Arearxmbr002.jpg

Arearxmbr001Small.jpg

Arearxmbr003Small.jpg

The 'K' piece is a fixture to keep the side rails in place while welding.

Arearxmbr007Small.jpg

Here's the pictures for post #10:

Arearxmbr003Small.jpg

Arearxmbr004Small.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back