Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

s 10 5-speed?

smokeyco75

So I am planning out my t project and since I plan on using one of Ron's stretched bodies I was also thinking of using a manual transmission. Does anyone know if the 5 speed found behind the 4.3 liter v-6 will work behind a 350 chevy? I might have I deal on an s10 with one. The 350 is only about 300 hp.

The V6 is essentially.... a SBC V8 with the rear 2 cylinders left off

Agreed. I don't see why it wouldn't work. As light as the bucket will be I would think it would be strong enough as long as I don't treat it like a race car.

Smokey - FWIW, I just pulled a 350/T5 combo from a kit car. I drove it around for several months and didn't have any trouble. I even beat on it a little. Car weighs about 2500 lbs, so similar to a T. I wasn't running a lot of tire in the rear, though.

One thing that would help is to run plenty if rear gear. If your T5 has .74 or better OD in 5th, then you could get away with 3.73 to 4.10 in the rear and still have a fairly low cruising RPM. The higher numerical ratios take some strain off of the trans and really wake up most small blocks.

Mike

They are very weak transmissions. A 4.3 in an s10 would blow them if the fellow had good tires and a hard driving style. Popping the clutch and power shifting would destroy them with 155 hp. So it depends on what style you are building. If you want a wide rear tire one then definitely stay away from that trans. If you want to build one in the 50-60s fashion with narrow tires then odds are with a sports car minded driving technique you'd be alright. With a street rodder outlook of wanting to nail it from time to time and bang through the gears then it'd be questionable even with skinnies on the back. Unless they do nothing but throw white smoke.

I'd say get a v8 t5 off of craigslist if you want a 5 spd and pull the stuff from the s10 for the swap. Then sell the s10 t5 on craigslist to recoup. I'd caution though 3 pedals starts getting a little tight in a bucket along with a shifter popping knees as well. Another t5 option would be one from a mustang with the s10 bell housing put onto it. The shifter is a lot farther back if you needed to relocate it away from the knees. An auto is so much less headache as a driver in a small space, as well as easier to initially set up.

A friend tried this and it didn't last very long, it also seems that some of these have a different locations for the shifters and it takes some jockeying around to get the shifter in the correct place.

Good to know. I really do not get the premiss. You can already manually shift an automatic if you want.

I really do not get the premiss. You can already manually shift an automatic if you want.

Yes, but not exactly. The governor still has some control over shift points and the trans will still downshift on it's own when you stop. If you shift early , the governor will override the shift until it is satisfied.

With the full manual valve body you have total control over shifting up and down. You can short shift or hold any gear as long as you want. The trans does nothing automatically. You can start in any gear and will if you forget to downshift. Basically turns the trans into a clutchless 3 or 4 speed.

I considered it for the 700R4 in my T, but found out that you have to upgrade to some really pricey parts inside to make it live. The main problem was that the pump pressure ran maxed out all the time and constant high pressure shifts would beat the clutch baskets to pieces on the 700. The manual valve body eliminated the throttle valve that regulated pump pressure.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty simple , some of us [myself included] enjoy a manual transmission , some consider it a bother !! I figure the latter "just don't get it" The T-5 out of the V-8 camaro is the trans of choice but still won't handle alot of torque.
dave

I think it's pretty simple , some of us [myself included] enjoy a manual transmission , some consider it a bother !! I figure the latter "just don't get it"

That's why my new car is getting a 6 speed and my old 46 coupe may be getting a 5 speed. I started out my driving years with a standard trans, but got away from them. Flirted with a few off and on over the years, though. They add something to the driving experience IMO. Yeah, they're a bother in heavy traffic, but who cares. The cars I'm talking about are limited use "toys" and I can live with that little hassle for the extra fun rowing through the gears adds. I ain't getting any younger and I need to focus on the things I enjoy.

I have all automatics and have had for over 43 years before that I had nothing but stick shift cars. The main reason being is that my wife, who helps on ALL my cars, has said and I quote, " some women don't do windows and I don't do stick." With all the help that she puts into my rides I find that going all automatics is a small consideration.

Jim

Can't argue with that, Jim! Having a wife that will put up with the , shall we say "ecentricities", of riding in an open car let alone a T with a chopped windshield is invaluable. Mine will too and for that I am very grateful, although mine says she hasn't had "good hair" since she dated me!

To each their own....a T5 will hold up reasonably well until you start the rowing with full power shifts....and that my friends behind a healthy 350 will trash one pretty quick. Launching with the wide Sportsman tires, a decent suspension, and some horses up front makes for a good ole Doug Nash 5 speed. The T5's aren't fragile, they just won't stand up to the horses and the abuse.
Me, I love sticks, but my bad knees and all, a clutch is just grind for me. I set up all my trans automatics, then have then so I can shift manually. They have the valvebodys that will bark the tires in drive for each shift and is like a std when shifting manually. For the Die Hards....theres the full manual valvebodys.
As HR46 said, if you want the 7oo to stand up to some HorsePressure, some mods are needed inside.
With some moderation, and decent rebuilding, they are basically good transmissions. Don't try to use it as a super duper performance trans that has to contain full power shifts from a Blown 454....you will be disappointed.
Behind a fairly mild smallblock, even if driven spirited, it would hold up fine....

There are the Doug Nash 5 Speeds that can be had for cheap at the swapmeets, then theres the 4 speed rockcrushers with the external overdrive that work out well. Makes for a cramped install though.

Last edited:
A Doug Nash 5 speed, I had one in the old 68 Nova. The serial # on it was 0002. The second one they released for production. Did not have it long when Doug Nash called and said they wanted it back. Seems the car that had 0001 in it crashed and it was the transmissions fault. It seized 2nd gear on the shaft and locked up the whole drive train. I pulled it out and took it apart and sure enough. Second gear had mushroomed the shaft so bad the the gear would not come off the shaft. Dough Nash sent all the new parts needed to fix it. That thing was sure fun to drive, but loud as hell. It had straight cut gears in it.

Had a saginaw in my dirt stock car. Wish I still had that. If I can get a good deal on a t5 from a camaro then ill jump on it. If not ill run the one from the s10 until I break it. Lol.

Had a saginaw in my dirt stock car. Wish I still had that. If I can get a good deal on a t5 from a camaro then ill jump on it. If not ill run the one from the s10 until I break it. Lol.
There you go!!! Will probably last a long time, if you don't sweat worrying about!! LOL

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back