Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

s 10 5-speed?

I was told the 4 cyl ones and the 4.3 ones had Bronze bushings on the counter shaft in the case. The v-8 ones used actual bearings. The extra torque on the bushings egg shaped the case holes and the gear teeth did not engage as far and then eventually broke.You can have the case bored for bearings but it is not cheap.Some of the Transmissions are rotated slightly to clear the floor pans on some vehicles. If you get one of these the tailshaft has the shifter offset so if you try to install in normally the shifter is at an odd angle. You then have to find another one with the tailshaft/shifter in a location you can live with. I don't think any of these original equipment trans. were very tough.You can adapt a T-5 or T-6 from another type of car but they are very pricey also.
One other thing, up until the mid 90's they all (to my knowledge) had a slave cyl mounted on the bellhousing for the throwout bearing.They changed to a hyd. throwout bearing in the later ones. As far as I know none of these transmissions had a mechanical linkage for the clutch.The hyd. throwout bearing uses shims for adjustment and is pretty complicated to get it set correctly without tearing it back apart several times. Hope this helps.

That is good information to have. My car has a wider and longer body that normal and I have been thinking along this line.

If you are looking for OD. I have used an old ford top loader from a Granada that is a 4 Spd OD. 3rd gear becomes 4th and 4th becomes a direct thru 3rd gear. They were used in Ford PU's late 70's too. I have an old dual pattern Lakewood housing and use a Ford clutch disk. I have used this in a few small blocks and a pro street big block 72 Blazer and it launched 4500# lbs, with Micky Thompson quite well, never grenaded one

A T5 and a T6, You have expensive ones, You have cheap ones. Alot of the Camaro's and 'other' so-called 'Supercars' of todayor shouls I say of late past, came with a 305, possibly a real anemic 350. A 305 as weak as it is, with the right suspension mods to get it to hook up, will granade a T5 outta that Camaro.
If your gonna just cruise, a T5/T6 will work. Throw a nice load to it, the bushings are too soft, the shifting forks/sliders are too fragile, its not clearenced correctly for longevity, shafts have sharp edges in places, etc. It will go down for the count.
IF, IF your gonna run a T5/T6, grab one that came out of car with some horses.....oh, like say a 'Vette. They were made and/or modified to handle that load....
A stock run-of-the-mill T5 won't hold up to beating that a vette driver will put on it.
A good indication if its a 5Speed and came from a car with a turbo or a supercharger, it'll hang in there for awhile.
----Just my 2 pecos....:coffee:----
Theres plenty of good, used cheap performance 5 speeds out there that can be had from a speed shop, car club, or swap meet....
Its best to have something that won't give you trouble on down the r:cautious:oad....besides, I hate those damn hyd. throwouts....durable as hell while they're new, a real pain for the avg. guy to set up. I have all the speciality tools for their installs and I still dog-cuss them every chance I get....

Also, think of how close your pedals will be in a T....and your actuation cylinders to othe parts, etc. Plan it out carefully.

I see that planets are in alignment again....:rolleyes::whistling:

Thanks a bunch for the input folks. Since I posted this I have opted for a turbo 350. I also acquired a 454 for an engine. Still on the hunt for a deal on a turbo 350. I apologize to Screaming metal and Mike for my comment in another more recent thread. We all have a bad day sometimes.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back