Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Side pipe hangers

fordsbyjay

For those using roadster style headers how or what are you using to support your side pipes. I never liked the idea of them just hanging out there and sure enough I am starting to develop some cracks. Pics would really help..

thanks,

I don't have them and don't have any cracks. What brand are they?

Would you have to allow for engine torque in the side pipe mounts? ,,,,,maybe rubber isolation mount.

Here are some pictures of how I mounted mine.

IMG_9853.jpg

IMG_9854.jpg

IMG_9855.jpg

I hope that will give you some ideas.

Jim

i have Sanderson headers and recently the drivers side started to drop quite a bit. Then this past week the cracks started.

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

I was thinking of just making a pad under it to support the weight of the exhaust but not actually bolting to it. This would allow it to move up if necessary......

Here is a set that are supported by a tube that is mounted in the center by a bracket that bolts to the tailhousing. The side pipes move with the engine as it torques.

HeaderBraceCrossbar.jpg

i have Sanderson headers and recently the drivers side started to drop quite a bit. Then this past week the cracks started.

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

I think I would be calling Sanderson. I know their headers are pretty pricey. I would hope that they would do something about a crack in that location. Does not make sense (at least to my eyes) that it would crack there.

I think I would be calling Sanderson. I know their headers are pretty pricey. I would hope that they would do something about a crack in that location. Does not make sense (at least to my eyes) that it would crack there.

I tend to agree, that isn't a crack from the weight of those headers and side pipes IMHO. You got a bad piece of steel tube.

I've been running without hangers on my side pipes for 5 years and about 5000 miles with no issues. The one set of headers I have seen broken cracked right where the #7 header pipe was welded to the flange. Could have just been a bad weld.

I've been running a set of Sanderson headers with 26" extensions without any support for more years then I can honestly remember. I'm going to take a WAG and say I got them in the early 90's, yes they're showing their age but they're still solid.

I have cut out a half moon stainless piece welded to a stainless rod to just support the headders. I will take some pics when i can

This is how I'm planning on doing mine, which is pretty much how George posted. Mind you, this is not my T, but just a pic I've had saved for a while in my T file.

Attachments

• headersupporttotransmission.jpg
    headersupporttotransmission.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 60

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back