Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Side Steps

CAB I went to your profile to get a better look at your car photo to see if I had any other ideas that would work and noticed you were in Huntingtown. I'm down in Lusby, unfortunately i don't have any fancy milling equipment so i wouldn't be able to help you make a sweet setup like Lincolnut made haha

I must apologize! Sorry for the comment!

No problem, forum sites are always fincky with all the rules. I understand this rule is to reduce spammers from posting crap but i hate the 1mb photo size rule. I tried doing an intro post but didn't have any photos small enough to load and can't resize them on this laptop

I wrote a tutorial with pics for some free software called PaintNet that will change the size of your photos so they don't appear huge on the screen. You can also reduce the file size by setting the compression level when you save it to your hard drive.

Be sure to read post #2, I just updated the download instructions a few minutes ago.

Photo Software and Resizing

CAB I went to your profile to get a better look at your car photo to see if I had any other ideas that would work and noticed you were in Huntingtown. I'm down in Lusby, unfortunately i don't have any fancy milling equipment so i wouldn't be able to help you make a sweet setup like Lincolnut made haha
I assume you have a t bucket, I have seen only 5 or 6 other buckets in Southern Maryland so far. If so how about a pic?

I wrote a tutorial with pics for some free software called PaintNet that will change the size of your photos so they don't appear huge on the screen. You can also reduce the file size by setting the compression level when you save it to your hard drive.

Be sure to read post #2, I just updated the download instructions a few minutes ago.

Thanks but my issue is my laptop is a chromebook and most of those photo resizing software will not work with this operating system. I will try and find one that works

Here is my bucket. I'm building it like a dirt track race car from the 40s-50s. It hasn't been on the road much yet since I still need to finish up some things like the seat-back, headlights. Going to change up the steering box attachment and exhaust later on. Once I get it done I will be taking it to some vintage racing events in PA such as the EMMR Hot Rod Annual and several Vintage Eliminator events at South Mountain Dragway and Allentown Fairgorunds.

jalopy overhead.jpg
jalopy_copy_1438x1079.jpg

I haven’t seen a slant 6 sewing machine, lol, in quite a while. No offense intended. It reminds me of my aunt. She had one in her duster. She bought it new in ‘73. She only bought it because someone stole and stripped the ‘66 coronet that my dad painted and sold her. Plum crazy with white top, white/charcoal interior, buckets, console, chrome shifter, 383 4 barrel... loved that car. Anyways, we put three engines in the duster. When we returned the cores to the salvage yard, there was a pile of them, all with number three rod broke or hanging out of the oil pan. Apparently they had a manufacturing defect in that era. I used to joke with her about it sounding like a sewing machine, but it would really wind up and go. A funny side story to the plum crazy paint: my dad used to own a body shop and repaired cars for all of the used car lots back in the day before auto auctions. Anyways, he had just painted a Malibu white prior to painting the coronet. Even though the coronet was painted in a spray booth, somehow some overspray tainted the white Malibu to give it a pinkish tint, lol... well, in those days it was acrylic enamel. Once it was sprayed, it had to cure 30 days before doing anything with it, so there really wasn’t a quick fix. I remember my dad delivering the Malibu at night and blaming the tint on the street lights... he was a hard worker, but hustled in more ways than one! Sorry for the long reply, memories.

Glad the slant brought back some fun memories. I've got it running really well and was able to get it to idle all the way down to 550 rpm. Probably could have gone lower but the idle screw was all the way backed out haha. Right now is just a single barrel Holley but I plan to add a 2 barrel intake and carb for a little more pep. In this light of a car it scoots a long pretty well.

Make sure cfm is same as 1 bbl carb. Most people don't know how to figure cfm to cui. and over carb the engine.

The 2 barrel carb i will be using was used on stock slant sixes so it won't be too big. But I've seen a lot of folks put a 4 barrel intake on a stock slant six which is definitely over kill

Glad the slant brought back some fun memories. I've got it running really well and was able to get it to idle all the way down to 550 rpm. Probably could have gone lower but the idle screw was all the way backed out haha. Right now is just a single barrel Holley but I plan to add a 2 barrel intake and carb for a little more pep. In this light of a car it scoots a long pretty well.

I to like that Slant six. My planes are to run as well. Still pretty easy to find one and they are really not that expensive to build. Several Slat Six groups oh facebook with lots of information. They used those engines in a number of applications other than automotive. One fork lift company (Yale I think) used them. Ran across one a few years ago on a stationary stand with a big water pump on it. Was being used as a irrigation pump. Guess I need to start looking.

Will you just weld those to the frame below the door, or is there some other way to attach them?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back