Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Sonic Test Results

Also....check out PAW....I've dealt with them for 20 + years........

Here's another option. Get a used engine from a fuel injected SUV or pickup truck. These engines show little internal wear even with high miles. They run most of the time at low rpm and are not usually "Hot Rodded". I bought a Ford 302 with 180K miles on it that had been in an F150. The block did not need any machine work done before I rebuilt the engine. Six of the cylinders were still at 4.000 factory bore. Two measured 4.004. Crankshaft was still good. Good used engines can be found all day long in the $200 range. Just something to consider if you don't plan to build a racing engine.

Thanks Scream Metal and Mr. Bil for the input! I'm looking into the Dart SHP, but we all know that true cost is not just getting to my door step. But after all machine work is done, that's the true cost of a block.

Rick Miller

Way way back a long time ago when I worked in a machine shop. We sleeved all 8 cylinders in a 350 block. We actually moved the cylinders closer to each other to help unshroud the intake valves. We didn't have a sonic tester way back then, so no reports there. The motor didn't run any better than the stock block engine it replaced. This was for an econo dragster.
Shhh, you're not supposed to mention tricks like that. :winkn:

Next thing, you'll be talking about shimming blocks in the fixture, to angle bore them and nobody's supposed to talk about that stuff either. Errrr, what did I just say? :no: I don't know any Super Stock racers. Nope, not me. Not guilty, your Honor. :wolf:

Never mind. Move along folks, nothing to see here. :spy:

Ron, we did the same thing to a 427 block once. Fellow was restoring a 435 HP '67 Corvette and the block was already .060" out and had a lot of taper. So, amidst the laughter from my supplier, I ordered eight sleeves and eight standard pistons. Locating all eight pistons wise like pulling teeth, too. We bored #1 and let the block lay to cool off before we shoved the sleeve in. Then we flopped the block over and bored #8. Back and forth, back and forth. We then used a Bor-Tru to check centers. It seemed like a never-ending nightmare before we were finished.

Back in the Dark Ages, we ran an inline motor in a dragster. We used 292 Chevy motors. It was all about the cylinder head, so we would bore the blocks a L-O-T, grind the cranks to get the clearances we needed, slip in a very large camshaft and bolt on a cylinder head I won't talk about, even today. The blocks were so thin-walled, we wouldn't warm the motor excessively in the pits and would always push the car into the water box. You didn't run the motor if you didn't have to. And after ever second or third race, the block would get honed. After two or three more races, we would strip off the good parts and the block and crank would be scrapped. That car was pretty fast, but it was a tremendous PITA. We would generally load it in the trailer to run the valves, just so no one could see the rocker action. The cam was huge and we had a pile of rocker arm atop that. Those were the days...

Some of the stuff I've seen and done at the race track would boggle your minds. As we always used to say, don't look too closely or your eyes will deceive you. :nod:

Shhh, you're not supposed to mention tricks like that. :nono:

Next thing, you'll be talking about shimming blocks in the fixture, to angle bore them and nobody's supposed to talk about that stuff either. Errrr, what did I just say? :spank: I don't know any Super Stock racers. Nope, not me. Not guilty, your Honor. :wolf:

Never mind. Move along folks, nothing to see here. :spy:

Ron, we did the same thing to a 427 block once. Fellow was restoring a 435 HP '67 Corvette and the block was already .060" out and had a lot of taper. So, amidst the laughter from my supplier, I ordered eight sleeves and eight standard pistons. Locating all eight pistons wise like pulling teeth, too. We bored #1 and let the block lay to cool off before we shoved the sleeve in. Then we flopped the block over and bored #8. Back and forth, back and forth. We then used a Bor-Tru to check centers. It seemed like a never-ending nightmare before we were finished.

Back in the Dark Ages, we ran an inline motor in a dragster. We used 292 Chevy motors. It was all about the cylinder head, so we would bore the blocks a L-O-T, grind the cranks to get the clearances we needed, slip in a very large camshaft and bolt on a cylinder head I won't talk about, even today. The blocks were so thin-walled, we wouldn't warm the motor excessively in the pits and would always push the car into the water box. You didn't run the motor if you didn't have to. And after ever second or third race, the block would get honed. After two or three more races, we would strip off the good parts and the block and crank would be scrapped. That car was pretty fast, but it was a tremendous PITA. We would generally load it in the trailer to run the valves, just so no one could see the rocker action. The cam was huge and we had a pile of rocker arm atop that. Those were the days...

Some of the stuff I've seen and done at the race track would boggle your minds. As we always used to say, don't look too closely or your eyes will deceive you. :nod:

Sometimes Flks walk in on me when remachining the head angles or the valveguide angles....I'll be digging thru the seat inserts to try to find something that'll fit before I go sleeving the seat holes..... :nono: :idea: ooooopps

Well Mike, we all know thats its a wild ride trying to find all those 'hidden' horses hiding in those motors......... :nod:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back