Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spaghetti time

Something that I do is when I wire the headlights. I use the parking side of the switch for low beams and the headlights for hi beams. Saves trying to put a dimmer switch on the floor where there is not much room.

butch27 said:
I'm doing my own also. Tried a "It's a Snap" (It's a Crap!) Just need about 6 or 7 circuits anyway. OH; and a few relays. Gotta have relays.

Oh-oh....I bought a 12 circuit harness from It's a Snap for a '54 Pontiac project which is now up for sale, but I thought I could use the harness in the bucket project. Butch, what can you tell me?

I'll offer this experience. I have wired several cars some like my 69 GTO has a lot of wiring.
EZ wire and American Auto wire have good prices, and better schematics
In My Humble Opinion that is:D

Re: Spaghetti time American Wire

I have used the American wire brand. It can usually be purchased on E Bay for much less than retail.
It was the same set up as you'd get from the factory

Re: Spaghetti time American Wire

Pop said:
I have used the American wire brand. It can usually be purchased on E Bay for much less than retail.
It was the same set up as you'd get from the factory
I had the E-Z Wire set up and tried to put it under my seat nothing but a big scramble of wire i got it but the wires wanna go the wrong way and it's a mess i yanked it out(had it in for three days or so never fired the car)and gave it away and bought American Autowire couldn't be happier the best harness i've ever worked and the tech guys are the best i talked to Don Bock and i wanted to put a turn signal unit in that was NOT compatable with his i emailed a drawing of it and he emailed AND sent a hard scmatic in color to me the best stuff.

I used a Ron Francis 8 circuit on my 1st bucket. 1st time I ever wired one. It was very easy to understand & good customer service. They might be a little more expensive than others but they have been around for a long time. So as Iam doing my next bucket I will use them again. Thanks Lar:)

All World 1: If you put it under your seat you're screwed. Many of the wires are too short. You can barely read the wires and the lettering comes off quite easily. Poor instructions --Made in India. Poor tech line. Shall I go on?

I wire from scratch. I haven't tried a store bought kit so I can't give an opinion on them. I found the biggest problem guys have with scratch wiring is they try to make it more complicated than it really is. A good schematic and an open mind will get the job done.

Youngster said:
I wire from scratch. I haven't tried a store bought kit so I can't give an opinion on them. I found the biggest problem guys have with scratch wiring is they try to make it more complicated than it really is. A good schematic and an open mind will get the job done.

Electricity is the... DEVIL!:eek: LOL I'm the kid in science class who blew up stuff trying to make a flash light. I'll be using a kit, probably American Wire. I checked them out, called them and they really sounded like they have their stuff together. Plus, the modular way they have it setup means I can do a step at a time and not worry where I left off.

It took Ron Francis a month just to send me a catalog. They lost me right there. I threw the catalog away.:mad:

I can understand that Fred. I started wiring when kits weren't avalible. I knew someone who did wiring. When I asked how much, I desided I would figure it out for myself.

butch27 said:
All World 1: If you put it under your seat you're screwed. Many of the wires are too short. You can barely read the wires and the lettering comes off quite easily. Poor instructions --Made in India. Poor tech line. Shall I go on?
Well that's enough for me. Anyone want to buy an It's a Snap harness, cheap?
Thanks butch

hey group,i have a sweet 23 t-bucket!enjoy workin on it very much .have owned it now for about 6 years.wish i had taken some before pictures of it ,compared to now !still have a few things left to do...any way just wanted to say hi .hoping to share and learn a few things from you guys!:cool:

I always buy a Ron Francis fuse block AND a separate ground block, both bare, no wires. Proper grounds are just as important as proper feeds.

I put the blocks under the seat and run one wire at a time, and pull them together with wire ties into maybe 3 separate runs. One to the dash, one to the front of the car and one to the back. By providing my own wire I can use a heavier gauge than the kits might have if it seems necessary.

rambone1500 said:
hey group,i have a sweet 23 t-bucket!enjoy workin on it very much .have owned it now for about 6 years.wish i had taken some before pictures of it ,compared to now !still have a few things left to do...any way just wanted to say hi .hoping to share and learn a few things from you guys!:cool:

Rambone...

Jump on in to the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself and your ride... what you've done and such... pics are always worth extra points!

Introductions

when there, just select (click on) FORUM TOOLS... A menu will drop down and click on POST A NEW THREAD... that's all there is to it... EZ! :lol:

I am using a Painless kit. It's not really painless, but pretty good for a rookie like me. All wires are marked with what they go to and color coded as well. If you use anything but what they use in the instruction book, you are on your own, but they have an 800 number to call for help, which I've used a few times.
Tex-T

There is some great information here guys. I have been thinking of re-wiring my car and feel like I can do myself as I have added and changed a few electrical components. Hoever, there is somethign to be said for the convenience of a kit. I really do not want to buy a bunch of things I do not need (included in the kits) as I have a fuse block already along with all the switches etc. I mainly just need the proper gauge of wires to run off the block and a good schematic. One reason for re-wiring is I would like to move my block from the firewall to under the seat.

EX JUNK said:
John, maybe this will help... KaolaT's wiring schematics ,the wire sizes are listed on the diagrams.

Jim

Look at the drawings and follow them. I used to think electricity was the DEVIL!:eek: But I kicked his butt and so can you.

Bonus, you will always have the satisfaction of saying..."I did it." In my rebuild, I'm not worried about anything. I used colored wires and made notes as to wher and what they went to. It's easy.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back