Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spark Plug wires.

Rip VW

What is everybody using for spark plug wires these days. Do they still make a silicone resistor wire plug wire. I was looking at wires and it seems everyone is making wires with a percentage of silicone and spiral wound conductor. I used to use Mr. Gasket silicone wires and they were great around headers. the downside was they were solid core copper wire and were lousy with electronics. The electronics in my distributor require I use a resistor / Suppression wire. I learned that the hard way, wondering why a vehicle with electronic ignition and solid wires ran like crap with misfires pops and generally lousy. Resistor wires worked fine. I hate to buy a set of wires only to have them melt by the headers or cause EMI to the electronics. Oh, what about the spark plug boots any special boots available to help with burning wires? I have seen people use fire sleeving over the plug boots, but they look kind of tacky IMHO.

The covers can be tacky and out of place looking if you have a super clean build.

It looks like NGK has resistor caps for your choice of wires.

Are you currently running resistor plugs?

I am not currently running resistor plugs I am not currently running as I am now working on the motor on this project. I have been looking at wires and it seems like everybody's wires are all basically all the same. They don't really tell you what the core is and then they say winding it helically makes these suppression wires. The same with the material their made out of. It is no longer these are silicone, and these are not. use silicone for headers and the others for regular install. It is kind of like alphabet soup trying to make heads or tails of this is confounding!

Running a resistor plug my help you out... It's internally resisted and doed the same job. If you run "R" plugs you can run any set of "off the shelf " wires you'd like.

Like you, Rip, I found out the hard way that electronic distributor modules don't like solid metal wires, even with resistor plugs. After replacing my distributor with the burnt-out module, I now use Taylor Spiro-Pro wires with no heat-related problems.

Like you, Rip, I found out the hard way that electronic distributor modules don't like solid metal wires, even with resistor plugs. After replacing my distributor with the burnt-out module, I now use Taylor Spiro-Pro wires with no heat-related problems.
I second the “no solid wires with electronic ignition” sentiment. It will cause module failure.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back