Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Spring Pivots

Mr. Fixit

Hi All,

I finally got all of my chrome work back and I thought that I was ready to start some assembly of the front end. I hung the front spring and when I got ready to install the new spring pivots which I bought in SS from Speedway, I quickly realized that my old rusty ones had 5/8" x 2" long threads and the new Mr. Roadster ones are 1/2" x 1" long threads. :)

Since I didn't bring my old ones to the plater to get chromed, I hit a road block before I started. It looks like I will have to modify the new SS ones. As I was looking at the old ones, I see that the bolt portion is on a slight angle to the body and can't remember why they aren't just straight. I must be getting old. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Hi All,

I finally got all of my chrome work back and I thought that I was ready to start some assembly of the front end. I hung the front spring and when I got ready to install the new spring pivots which I bought in SS from Speedway, I quickly realized that my old rusty ones had 5/8" x 2" long threads and the new Mr. Roadster ones are 1/2" x 1" long threads. :)

Since I didn't bring my old ones to the plater to get chromed, I hit a road block before I started. It looks like I will have to modify the new SS ones. As I was looking at the old ones, I see that the bolt portion is on a slight angle to the body and can't remember why they aren't just straight. I must be getting old. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,
its because your bat wings or spring brackets are on an angle to the front end.If you put straight ones one it they WILL bind.

its because your bat wings or spring brackets are on an angle to the front end.If you put straight ones one it they WILL bind.

What if my bat wing is in the house making dinner, will it still bind? Just kidding, I love my bat wing.. :)

Thanks for the reminder.

They may need to just be turned around to line up with the spring?? :) I have used a smaller 1/2" bolt in a 5/8" hole by using a sleeve to make up the difference...

Ted,

The bolts are too short since they need to go through two separate 1/4" plates that have a 1/2" space between them for the spherical rod ends of the 4 link. I guess I will have to make new ends.

Thanks,

Ted,

The bolts are too short since they need to go through two separate 1/4" plates that have a 1/2" space between them for the spherical rod ends of the 4 link. I guess I will have to make new ends.

Thanks,
You may want to think about this... Get two long Mag wheel lug nuts, same thread as your perch bolts, you may need to drill out one side of the bat wing bracket for the lug nut to fit into, plus you MAY need to shorten the lug nut a little?? , but this will work without adding length to the perch bolts... get my drift?

You may want to think about this... Get two long Mag wheel lug nuts, same thread as your perch bolts, you may need to drill out one side of the bat wing bracket for the lug nut to fit into, plus you MAY need to shorten the lug nut a little?? , but this will work without adding length to the perch bolts... get my drift?

That definately would work, but I took the lond road since I didnt want to break the new chroming and I have a plan to sandwich a piece of black Delrin between the two batwing halves. Anyway, here is what I came up with. I machined two studs 2" long out of SS and bored and tapped internal threads about 1" deep x 1/2" 20 to fit the short threaded stud on the spring pivot. Then I threaded the OD of the stud to the 5/8" x 18 that I needed to go into the existing batwings, threaded the studs onto the spring pivots, tig welded the 3/16" gap that I left between the new studs and the body of the pivot, machined the surfaces on the lathe and polished them to better than new. Here are a few photos.

[attachment=4357:T-Boy 2010 0617 023.jpg]
[attachment=4358:T-Boy 2010 0617 024.jpg]
[attachment=4359:T-Boy 2010 0617 027.jpg]

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back