Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Step Plates

Bubblehead

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
(at least that is what I think they are called)

Hello all. My new bucket does not have any operable doors, so you have to step in. I don't believe that is a big deal for me at all, but others I offer a ride to may like the step. I saw several different options in catalogs, but noticed most don't come with mounting hardware. I am assuming this is something you normally attach to the frame for rigidity purposes, but if you have a channeled body that is not an option right? My new car has not been delivered yet, but I am getting ready with the mods I want to do early on.

Thanks, Glenn

Most that I see are welded to the frame, and are often custom fabrications.

BTW welcome.....you got a very well done car.....I studied several pictures of it, and they built some very nice features into it. Good Luck !

I would like to see a picture of it mounted on the frame without the body. Does it sit on top of the frame? If so, wouldn't the bolt head interfer with the body? It looks nice and I'm thinking of getting one or two.

I would like to see a picture of it mounted on the frame without the body. Does it sit on top of the frame? If so, wouldn't the bolt head interfer with the body? It looks nice and I'm thinking of getting one or two.

I believe that they do set on top of the frame. Interference would depend on how the body and/or floor is mounted.

DSCN2109.JPG DSCN2110.JPG DSCN2111.JPG
This is how I made my wife a step.....1" Alum and then some 1/4 inch material for the top........The radius rods are solid and they mount real close to the front so they are real stout.........

MikeDSCN1920.JPG DSCN1932.JPG

I remember looking at this set-up when in Mt. Home last Summer and was impressed with the look, and craftsmanship. Very nice job.

I usually put my foot on the rear axle housing and hop over, but its a touch tight getting my foot up between the body and tire as I get in.
I'm toying with the idea of mounting a forward facing bracket off the axle housing/ladder bar bracket and mounting an original FORD style round pedal pad to it to make it just a touch more accessible and also save the wear on the housing paint.
It would still be hidden by the tire in side view, but farther forward than the housing, so much easier to use.

View attachment 10474 View attachment 10475 View attachment 10476
This is how I made my wife a step.....1" Alum and then some 1/4 inch material for the top........The radius rods are solid and they mount real close to the front so they are real stout.........

MikeView attachment 10477 View attachment 10478
That's a nice set up there! I step in on the passenger's side and scoot over. I would have installed a step but I built my car pretty low, so I can just step in...

I usually put my foot on the rear axle housing and hop over, but its a touch tight getting my foot up between the body and tire as I get in.
I'm toying with the idea of mounting a forward facing bracket off the axle housing/ladder bar bracket and mounting an original FORD style round pedal pad to it to make it just a touch more accessible and also save the wear on the housing paint.
It would still be hidden by the tire in side view, but farther forward than the housing, so much easier to use.
Your car looks pretty low. It's too high to step in on the passenger's side?

Car actually sits pretty high in the back.
I agree it looks pretty low in some pictures, but the low look comes from the slightly long wheelbase and the position of the side pipes due to the low engine placement. I think! :confused:
This winter I will be lowering the back a couple of inches, raising the front slightly and raising the engine a bit to increase ground clearance.
Along with another 20 or 30 things I'm sure...:rolleyes: LoL

How did/are you going to finish it to prevent wear/rust?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back