Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Still pinging

rooster57

I have adjusted the timing and about 2 before is the sweet spot. But could it be possible i dont have enough spark. I did buy a aftermarket distributor from an online garage sale. From time to time when i am driving i will notice a glitch like a split second of loss of spark but it never dies and its only happened a couple of times . Could week spark cause pinging???? My next question what do you recomend for a HEI distributor ,stock chev 93 model motor. Small block.

Howdy Rooster........still pinging? Bad??????? Lets see if we can't get this beast beat down a little so you can drive it.......when did this thing start rattling?????

Was it all of a sudden? Or was it a gradual thing over a few days?

Initially....pinging is usually caused by lack of octane......(which I might get a big ruckus going on that one), Timing WAAAYYYYYYYY the hell out......or several other factors that wouldn't apply in your case.

OK....lets do this to see if we can't isolate the problem......we gotta know what it is before we can fix it. I'm not much into the scattergun deal.....I like the one-step-at-a-time so we know:

1. Get your timimg light out and check it. With your vaccuum advance hose pinched......(this could definitely be a problem).......engine running, dist.loose, gradually turn it while you bring your engine to a high idle......what your looking for is when you just feel and hear the engine starting to labor or work hard.......cinch down the dist. and try it there.
Also.....you want all your advance coming in by 2000 to 2400 rpm.
PLEASE NOTE-----Chevy balancers are pretty well worthless if they've been on anything other than a stock engine. The outter hub can be spun and get your timing all jacked up.....because the mark isn't any longer where it needs to be. Don't take for granted that its OK....doublecheck it......also make sure the pointer is where it needs to be also...
***On electronic distributors***......go with a good performance unit or rebuild you HEI with a good quality add on system. HEI's are good........and a weak spark can cause problems that look like other problems besides Ignition issues...
2.Check your vaccuum advance it one of those hand held vaccuum pumps that you bleed your brakes with. A non-working vac-adv. will cause you headaches.
With timing issues out of the way........(is the cam degreed in????)....lets move on to....
3. After this is done......if the pinging hasn't stopped......(it should've gotten quieter by this point), look to see how hot your engine is running....is it running hot????? if not.........
4. Are you running really lean????? Just to see if the rattling goes away....adjust the accelerator pump so its mashed down on the plunger.....---just for a spin around the block---. either adjust it tight or put a small spacer under it so it'll be heldopen slightly....this will richen the mixture up.
If it still rattles, we'll have to dig deeper......(if it is gone, oh well).......open the carb up and change out jets about 2-#'s up. Your front adjusters on your carbs are for idle only and slightly above.......above high idle.......your on you intermmediate circuit and main jets.......
5. If your still arattling, and nothing has helped........add a can of your favorite Hi-Perf octane booster.............if that doesn't help
6. We've gotta call for a Exorcism....FAST!!!!!

If it keeps on......I might have to come up there!!!! Ha!:lol::lol::lol:

The pinging is above 2000 rpm its not terrible but noticeable When i let off the gas it quits pinging when i get on the gas it quits pinging. The cam is not degreed but i think my neighbor has a piston stop i understand the principle. I have been running premium gas BUT the stations around here, their gas is 10 percent ethenol. My engine is not running hot in fact running down the road its under 170. Is the plug inspection the only way i can tell if it is to lean???? Like i said its not killing me but its annoying. And your welcome anytime. The engine has about 350 miles on it.

MSD is a really good system....I like any of the soft touch models.....great safety feature.........and inexpensive, as far as aftermarket ignitions go.....alot of bang for the buck................:cool:

So it pings above 2000 with a load on it......and stops after you let off......correct????

This is whats got me thinking we got something fishy going on............'when i get on the gas it quits pinging'..........if it is valves rattling because of fuel......thats when it'd rattle, on acceleration......

does it do it at any steady speed over 2000 rpm?????

Hey Rooster....its 8:20 here.....gonna run a engine in on the stand for about 30 minutes.......ya know....start it up, run about 20 seconds.....check it out.....do some voodoo......crank it agian....do this 5 or 6 times....a 5 minute cooldown between runs......will check back later...........:cool:

Hey Rooster...at a cooldown in the office.....OK....I believe after studying your post that its fuel, well, your running too lean. Ran fine on premium????? No rattling or pinging???? If it did it was really light????? The only way to run the 10% crap now is to add something to jump the octain level up OR put more fuel into you cylinders. Ethanol burns as a fuel.....you just need more of it to do the same amount of work.................if you got a aftermarket carb......like a Demon, Holley, Edelbrock......raise your float level a little and see if that helps..................if it does..........................your gonna have to put in larger jets........weeell, back to work......:cool:

It seems to ping when it reaches the not pulling and not coasting speed if i am back on the throttle it isnt to noticeable but it is still pinging just less. or get off the throttle it quits pinging. I am running an edelbrock 600. I got it from a guy i know who didnt like it he said mabye this is why HA HA. Tomorrow i will get some additive to see if that makes a differance just for trouble shooting problem. If i need to i will get a new set of jets for it.

Yea, Rooster.....thats a sign of being way too lean, or not having enough go-in-tha-gas. The only other thing that it can be is the exhaust valves too tight (not enough lash)......I seem to remember you running a hydraulic cam.....so that couldn't be it unless something really strange has happened.

Speaking of valves....got one leaking.....gotta pull the head off this beast, re-do it and run it in agian.......gonna be a long night......but I gots a lotta coffee...............keep me informed........:cool:......I'll probably be up till at least 7:00 AM...............

Screamin Metal isn't jokin about the tight valves.
I had a customer do that to me years ago, same thing, wouldn't stop pinging. It didn't sound like your typical ping but happened at the right times. It was the valve lash, too tight. One of the senior guys in the shop knew what it was.

Pull some plugs and let's look at the shell and the strap for the heat lines.

Don't bother with trying to read the insulator, unless you see it is bone-white. Low RPM driving and idle time won't let you accurately read them anyway. If you see the insulator is white, then we've certainly got a fuel problem.

Are you using a plug with a cad-plated shell? If so, this gets easier. If you examine the threads on the plug, you'll see the threads closest to the business end will be a slightly different color than the threads nearest the hex. How many threads are colored?

If the shell is a black shell (Autolite, etc.), then pull a few plugs one afternoon. If you have some older plugs, thread them in or spray some penetrant on some paper towel to wind into the open holes. Leave the plugs on the bench overnight (a really humid day is a good one). The next day, you will see the humidity has allowed some very light rust to appear on the threads. Once again, how many threads are colored with the rust?

Look at the strap on the plug, preferably with a magnifying glass in the sunlight. You will see the strap is not uniform in color, from the plug shell to the end. Where is the line with the color difference, in relation to the bend in the plug?

Something else to think about - how much compression ratio are you dealing with? And what are the specs on the camshaft? I see people wanting to run a bunch of compression with a wee cam profile and it drives cylinder pressure to the moon. Have you ever done a cranking compression test? What kind of numbers did you see?

Have you looked at the mechanical advance in the distributor, to be sure the weights are moving freely? The Government Motors HEI distributor is notorious for binding up weights at both ends, so make sure that isn't happening to you.

Thanks mike, metal and mango i will pull a plug out and look at it . My neighbor has a new 600 demon i may sneek over and borrow it to see what happens. He is doing a frame off on his vette so he wont even mis it . Mike my motor is a bone stock 305. Came out of my 92 blazer (roll over victim). It was FI and i converted it to carb.

When i said 600 Demon i ment avenger. I had a call from my X wife and well you see where i am going.

X wives aren't much help with anything except incipient poverty and a reason to drink. Get on fine without either.

Rooster, you may have to resign yourself to the fact that the 305 just won't take as much advance as you want it to. Iffen you back the lead off to where she just gives the odd scattered ping when you hop on it, what degree total advance does that give?

I suppose you got the vacuum advance signal coming off the manifold rather than the ported vacuum on the carb. If you run ported vacuum, thats fine but hopping on it off idle in some cases gets a few pings as the diaphragm briefly hooks in some advance before the vacuum signal dies.

Also, if the vacuum diaphragm and associated bits are unhealthy she may stick on full vacuum advance, which can be as much as 50degree, which will give the symptoms you describe.

I think i am going to start from scratch and degree the cam and check the timing mark on the balancer. and then check the distributor and so on. I might be skipping something important. Thanks guys

Yep, way to do it, Rooster. Thats what I'd do. And when you think you found it, don't stop, there might be something else hiding................................

Happy Tinkering!!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back