Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Street Racing

tfeverfred

Yup, we probably all did it a few times. Young, full of spunk and showing off. I, for one, was glad the night I learned how dangerous, reckless and stupid it REALLY is. The thing about street racing is that the innocent non-participants DON'T know you're racing. They have no idea what you're doing or why. They are innocent bystanders to an illegal and stupid activity. No parent should out live their child. Especially, when it could have been prevented.

This story is about an accident that killed 8 people. They weren't drivers, they were watching. Sad, yet reading the age of one of the dead, some were old enough to know better. There are friends of mine who street race and they are old enough to know better. There have been so many deaths here from it, but they do it anyway. I never talk to them about it because they know better. Maybe, now I will. I may lose a few as friends, but, I'll sleep better knowing at least I tried to reach them.

Here's a link to the story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23194752

The tragic part is the car involved, wasn't even part of the race.

The older we get the more we realize how dangerous street racing is but it will continue. It would be good if there were more safe drag strips where those want to could race under the right conditions

I don't street race anyone but coming back from a show or just a cruise i'll take her up to around 80 then back her down just for the RUSH.

I did my share back in my day. Stupid.
Late last fall I was coming home from the local burger joint with my little girl (6 years old) It was about 9 pm, dark and cold. Going thru town at the last 2 stoplights there were some IDIOTS in a newer dodge pickup with some annoyingly loud mufflers. When did pickups become hotrods? That just aint right..At any rate me and allie in the open air of the T they scared the crap out of her rapping their pipes trying to get me to race. (she was in tears) Goes to show the lack of judgement on their part. Last set of lights was right in front of the local branch of the minnesota state patrol. Even if I was dumb enough to take these jokers on they have no idea of just how fast these cars are. By the time I get into second gear they have no chance....

Yeah, we've all done our share of street racing and the occasional impromtu red light contest, but the older I get the more I realize how unfair this is to every other driver out there and the families they might be transporting in their cars.

Some weekends we are at our shop working late and the local ricers come down our road and start to race. I call the Sherrif because it is a narrow road and there have been wrecks on it from just normal driving. Plus all those ricer exhaust sounds are just plain annoying. :eek: But the cops never even come, so I chew out the 911 operator and tell her I am getting tired of calling if they won't even come.

Drag strips aren't the answer either. We have a track very close to us and these guys just prefer the excitement of street racing. What does work is arresting them, impounding their cars, and them losing their license for a year or so. I lost my license for drag racing when I was 18 and walked for a year. I never raced after that.

Don

Don

I heard in California, they confiscate the car and check the parts to see if some are stolen. If ANY part is found to be stolen, they CRUSH the car AND make the owner watch! As usual, the cars are freakin' ricers. Go figure. I think there's a video. I'll search for it. Much laughter!:D

GREAT video of Califonia street racer punishment. i love how the idiot says "They can't crush my dream." Uhhh... yea. They did.:D

It said they only crush the cars that have stolen parts, Engines and transmission etc. The guy says, " They can't crush my dream ". My question is - Just what about the guy that had his dream stolen to go in the car in the first place. Most likly some poor guy that had the novel idea of working and paying for parts. If it had been me - I'd make the a$$ set in his car while I crushed it. My humble opinion. :soapbox:

Duke, I like the way you think. Either that or they ought to hang car thieves the way they did horse thieves.

VegasBruce said:
Duke, I like the way you think. Either that or they ought to hang car thieves the way they did horse thieves.

Heck, that's probably STILL in the Texas legal books. We even have a DUELING CODE that's stayed around!:soapbox:

Do you still have the "but your honor, he needed killing."?

The purple stripe is my favorite though. ;)

VegasBruce said:
Do you still have the "but your honor, he needed killing."?

The purple stripe is my favorite though. ;)

:lol:Nawww. We're allowed to have concealed weapons and if you shoot the perp on your property, no problem. I'm VERY serious.

We had a state representative shoot a guy, a while back. He was staying in a house that was being remodeled. Heard a noise, the guy was trying to steal copper wire. The Representative came down to check the noise out. The guy reached into his coat and the Representative shot him. No charges filed. End of story.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5462255

I've been reading up on the gun laws for when I move to your fine state. :soapbox:

I have an adress and phone number already.

I used to go to a range about 5 miles from my house, but the T Bucket takes all my time now. I need to start back up.

I try to get out to the range every now and then. I don't go enough any more though. Between the bucket and my 4x4 they take to much time. Once I get back there next year, I'll have a little more time on my hands.

Here is another side of the stolen car/parts scenario.

If people weren't willing to purchase stolen items, the thieves would be out of business - today.

If you were going to confiscate a car from an offender, why not find a way to turn that car into dollars, and turn the money over to a worthwhile charity? Sorry, the Ontario authorities showed me a perfect example of stupidity with that one. There are other ways to punish offenders.

The reason Hondas are such a hot commodity on the stolen parts market is because of the ricer/racers. My Son has a Honda and one night he was in the shop at about 4 am with the garage door closed. He heard a loud thump and his car alarm started going off in the parking lot. By the time he grabbed the gun and got outside some guy was running away heading for a van.

That is about the 4th attempt thieves have made on the car. :sad:

Don

Mike said:
Here is another side of the stolen car/parts scenario.

If people weren't willing to purchase stolen items, the thieves would be out of business - today.

If you were going to confiscate a car from an offender, why not find a way to turn that car into dollars, and turn the money over to a worthwhile charity? Sorry, the Ontario authorities showed me a perfect example of stupidity with that one. There are other ways to punish offenders.

Well, if they crush the car and sell the metal, that would add up to some nice donation money. If they trried to auction off the car or it's parts, the damn thing would end up back on the street.

If a cop told me they'd crush my T Bucket for street racing, trust me, that would be the only warning I would need.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back