Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

T bucket frame wanted

Rabid2liter

Looking for a t bucket frame...I have several 350's but was entertaing
a possible LS1 drop in just because...please don't ask...I would rather
go ol school but it's a pretty sweet deal for the motor.

should I make on or have it built?

Thank,
Scott

i say build your own frame, take your time to scrounge up the frame materials on the cheap and weld it up :lol:

i know around me theres plenty of fabrication shops w/ racks full of random pipe / tube / bar stock / flat stock .... its not uncommon to cut 300+ feet of a certian size material and wind up with like 35 feet left over and just taking up space

now throw in the fact that anytime you have an interesting project you have a price advantage over the next guy

print out some pictures of t buckets you like, get excited, go talk to some shop owners, and make it sound so bad ass they ask you to bring it by when your done so they can get a ride in it :lol:

prebuilt frames will always be available, try doing your own on the cheap first, and if u cant do it THEN just buy one.

By building your own frame, you will end up with just what you want. When you buy a frame seems like you always find something you want different. We are working on a set of chassis plans now that you might be interested in. Stay tuned.

There's a small company on E-Bay that sells frames for $349. Can't remember the name , something like Mr. Mom ??

How Close to Amarillo, TX are you?
I just might have one for sale

Vance

Steel prices are getting nuts. We just paid almost $ 200 for a stick of 1 3/4 inch round tubing to use for crossmembers, it was slightly over $ 100 a few months ago. I think we will see the prebuilt frame prices starting to climb soon, they have to be getting squeezed too.

We have always built our own just because we like to use certain sized tubing. We like 2 x 3 and 2 x 4 with a wall thickness of 3/16. The edges round over nicer than 1.5, it is stronger, and the 3/16 wall lets us drill and tap for non structural items to be mounted (brake lines, cables, wires, etc)

I have been approached from time to time to build someone a frame and have had to turn it down each time. First of all, it is very labor intensive to do it right, and the material costs alone run $ 300 to $ 500 by the time you figure in crossmembers, perches, and rails. There is no way you could charge a person enough to make a buck and still be competitive.

But if a person is a good welder and takes their time, you can get a nice frame that is custom made to your specs. It is the only way to get one that sits exactly how you want it too, otherwise you just take what is on the rack and go with that.........which is fine in lots of cases.

Don

Rabid2liter said:

Thank,
Scott
I have 4 u-weld-it tbucket chassis. If interested email me.
Mickey'
mvl1224@aol.com

DonsRods is right..............steel has gone stupid...........I gotta price the stuff everyday cause we do alot of custom stuff.............

I'm building mine out of 2x3 1/4..........for the blown 392 Hemi..........and the price increase seems to be almost 50%...........depending on what your looking at and how long ago it was! Ha!

Over the past 3 years its almost doubled on square tubing and structural stuff................but yea...........if you look around and do some shopping.............theres no reason why you can't do a frame right fairly cheap..................and Youngster as some Killer plans and RPM can hook you up with alot of brackets and parts.........

I just got thru TIG'ing up my fuel tank...........put 2 baffles in it..........twin bottom mount pickups..............

Rabid2liter said:

Thank,
Scott
I have 4 Total Performance U-WELD-IT CHASSIS FOR SALE email me if your interested. mvl1224@aol.com

hotrod23t said:
I have 4 Total Performance U-WELD-IT CHASSIS FOR SALE email me if your interested. mvl1224@aol.com

Sir, have you taken the time to read this thread in it's entirety? The poster Rabid2liter, has not revisited the forum since 02-29-2008 12:08 AM.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back