Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

TH 400 Tranny

Mr. Fixit

Hey All:

is anyone running a Th-400 tranny and if so have you done and performance modis such as valve body work, or??

Thanks,

Oops, not sure what happened there, but I wanted to reply to you BlownT. I am considering doing some mods to mine as well. I already have a 3500 stall and I believe the prior owner did something to the tranny, but until I get into it, I won't know. Does your's bang the gears fairly hard when you shift it, or when it shifts at open throttle :) ? Since the car is so light, is it controllable?

Thanks..

It does not bang in there when you shift. But it is firm and RIGHT NOW. I would recommend it but you don't really need it. But if you have the power, blower, and 4.30 rear gear it is fun to have. And you definently burn more gas.

It does not bang in there when you shift. But it is firm and RIGHT NOW. I would recommend it but you don't really need it. But if you have the power, blower, and 4.30 rear gear it is fun to have. And you definently burn more gas.

I have a 400 hp 350 SBC. The final gearing is 3.70 which is what the rear came with, but I am considering going with 4.11 or 4.30 to get more low end spunk since I have no desire to go 100 + mph with a suicide front end anyway. I am sure there are others that would disagree (which I would like to hear), but that is just my opinion. I am also considering modifying the valve body to make it manual/auto with positive shifting, but I am not sure that I can get the power to the ground in such a light car. How does yours handle? Can you open it up and get the power to the ground and keep some semblance of order? Thanks for your help..

If you have M/T's you will definently have tire spin. Hoosiers are alittle better. I have always run dirttrackers and they HOOK. No spin hardly at all. And also much cheaper but not DOT. I have no problemms

T400 with manual valve body is fun to say the least, driving down the freeway or? at say 55 and you want to pass or someone in a late model car thinks these cars will not run, time to pull it back into low gear and start over from there hehe they are very surprised to say the least when you leave them sitting still... T Buckets are a Horse of a different color, but not really made for over 100 for long with a full windshield and or top... Drive safe at whatever speed turns you on... :)

T400 with manual valve body is fun to say the least, driving down the freeway or? at say 55 and you want to pass or someone in a late model car thinks these cars will not run, time to pull it back into low gear and start over from there hehe they are very surprised to say the least when you leave them sitting still... T Buckets are a Horse of a different color, but not really made for over 100 for long with a full windshield and or top... Drive safe at whatever speed turns you on... :hi:

I guess what I am wondering is why the full manual over a modified valve body, which shifts like normal with faster engagement but can be used as full manual as you guys have described as well. Just a bit concerned with always having to shift.

I guess what I am wondering is why the full manual over a modified valve body, which shifts like normal with faster engagement but can be used as full manual as you guys have described as well. Just a bit concerned with always having to shift.
I can just take off in drive and it depends on how hard I push the pedal as to how fast it goes before it shifts (stock first gear shift is 38 MPH) and it shifts smooth, well positive I should say but not jerky or wanting to spin the tires during regular take offs... :good: Full pedal is a different story... will hang in gear till you want it to shift...

I can just take off in drive and it depends on how hard I push the pedal as to how fast it goes before it shifts (stock first gear shift is 38 MPH) and it shifts smooth, well positive I should say but not jerky or wanting to spin the tires during regular take offs... :good: Full pedal is a different story... will hang in gear till you want it to shift...

Got it, thanks Ted..

Even with a modified TH400 with a shift kit I could not get it to shift when I waanted it to or to stay in 1st or 2nd long enough. Not until I went with the full manual valvebody does it shift when and immediately when I shift. I tried all sorts of mods to get it it to stay in gear longer and not shift early. I'm happy now and BOY is it fun.

Even with a modified TH400 with a shift kit I could not get it to shift when I waanted it to or to stay in 1st or 2nd long enough. Not until I went with the full manual valvebody does it shift when and immediately when I shift. I tried all sorts of mods to get it it to stay in gear longer and not shift early. I'm happy now and BOY is it fun.

These are the mods that I am considering. http://www.jakesperformance.com/TH400_Rebuild_Tech.html

Anyone seen/done this?

Thanks..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back