Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

The round front crossmember?

Brucer

the round front crossmember on the very front of most T's you see... Why is this round? is the only reason is that in the past they put the friction shocks on the end?

seems to me the way the T grille shell is, it would be alot cleaner if that front were rectangle tubing like the rest of the frame.. even with the spring behind setup it would be cleaner..

when i start in on my chassis i might look into doing this..

this looks cleaner to me
vbpgimage.php

I think it just evolved that guys started using round tubing up there. I think in the old days they even used driveshafts cut up for that piece, but I can't remember for sure.

Nothing wrong with a rectangular one either, although it can look a little bulkier. I am using a rectangular one on my latest project and it is fine.

Don

dansframeback2ndtime012.jpg

And no, that is not a hardtop I am grafting on the rpu.......it just looks that way because the truck cab is parked behind this car. :lol::lol:

dansframeback2ndtime010.jpg

dansframeback2ndtime011.jpg

great question. two reasons come to mind about the round xmember. i don't weld the front pearch til i have the frame at ride hiegth. the round tube makes for easier adjustment just by rotating the perch. the other reason is because of all the round tubing up front it matches it's surroundings, 2"axle 7/8 tie rod and drag link my '29 headlight bar, etc. just a visual thing here i guess.

all this is not to say a square tube looks bad on some cars. if you are using an I beam axle and the shell mounted over the xmember as in the pic, it looks great. would look strange with a round tube there. again, just a visual thing and/or a personal preference.

Ron

Personal taste is totally what T Buckets are all about, after all it is a custom fabed car, totally, from one end to the other, and yes the same frame material works great there as well, (my new car is built that way) but whatever you do, never a thin drive shaft :lol: or thin anything, .156 (.188 better) I would say is the thinnest I would use, but you do what makes you feel safe. Happy (safe) cruzin

Ted Brown said:
Personal taste is totally what T Buckets are all about, after all it is a custom fabed car, totally, from one end to the other, and yes the same frame material works great there as well, (my new car is built that way) but whatever you do, never a thin drive shaft :) or thin anything, .156 (.188 better) I would say is the thinnest I would use, but you do what makes you feel safe. Happy (safe) cruzin

Most driveshafts are .065" or .083" way too thin for a front cross memeber. 188" or .250" is better.........Bigger is better here.

anybody know what wall 2.5" schedule 80 is? 3"? I seem to have aquired some little bits of it.

I used schedule 140 (?? not sure) 2" tube with wall thickness about 3/8". Lots strong I think and stays neat and tidy and allowed me to taper the front of the frame rails

loooooooooooking good terrymac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

gots thick glasses Al........

Ron

So many good offers, so little time:rofl:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back