Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

to wrap or not to wrap...

dovehunter79

that is my question....

Lake headers.... should I wrap them or not.... I have asked quite a few people, half say yeah and half say nea....:pint::pint::pint:I have already purchased the wrap, ties, and silicon spray... should I move forward or not?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks for the input!!!

I would vote 'Nay' on this one.

The wrap insulates the tubes so much, they will erode from the inside out. If you have to insulate one area, then you have to do what you have to do. But you're going to shorten the life of the headers considerably by wrapping them.

YMMV.

What are you trying to accomplish by wrapping them? I'm with Mike, don't wrap 'em unless you have to for some technical reason.

I ONLY had the notion/idea to wrap them solely for looks... nothing else...

I guess a piece of information thats handy is they are already ceramic coated... with the coating on them, they do a spectacular job keeping the heat inside the headers and directed towards the 90 degree turnout

If you're 50% on it... wrap one side and leave the other side unwrapped.

T-Odd said:
If you're 50% on it... wrap one side and leave the other side unwrapped.

Damn, I almost sprayed the computer with a mouthful of Guinness :pint:

Telman2 "Damn, I almost sprayed the computer with a mouthful of Guinness"

Ever try Fuller's ESB? Hard to find around here but worth the search if you can find it.

I say lay out two rows of tape edge to edge, and use that configuration to wrap the pipes. Now unwrap one layer to give that nice barber-pole effect.

Jeff

Mike said:
I would vote 'Nay' on this one.

The wrap insulates the tubes so much, they will erode from the inside out. If you have to insulate one area, then you have to do what you have to do. But you're going to shorten the life of the headers considerably by wrapping them.

YMMV.

Here is my thought on wrapping pipes, I won't do it again.

Vacation393.jpg

from Mikes post... I decided not to do it, I will just get them re-coated in time... that pictures speaks wonders!!! thanks guys!!!

Jeff

That was only about 4500 miles after I wrapped the pipes.

the main purpose of the wrap is to keep under hood temps down. If ya ain't got a hood or covered engine compartment why would you want the wrap? Personally I think the wrap looks uglier than hell and worse over time. But thats just my opinion. Its your car. If ya want it, goferit.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back