Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Tranny output set up

OptimusPrime

Just set the engine an transmission in just to see where it will land out on the frame, looks good so far, as for now i have the tranny set level with the rear pinion was wondering if that is correct or should I place the transmission higher in the frame and have some downward slope on the taleshaft going into the pinion?.....Bob

As long as the oil pan is not closer than 6" to the ground IMHO when the springs & shocks will be bottomed out, then the engine should be fine, but the angles of the pinion and crank line should always be parallel to each other,even if higher or lower... :)

Thanks Ted I think I know where I'm headed now, great input thanks again.

Not really a drive line angle set up, but the carb pad on the intake is usually cut at an angle.
When you get the pad level, you are close to having the engine sitting right.

Carb intakes are usually about a 3 degree angle. Spirit frames are setup with a 3 degree angle at the engine mounts. If you look at other forums, e.g., Cobra forum, they recommend a 3 degree down angle for engine, 3 degree up angle on rear axle input shaft. So, as mentioned above, set engine mounts and tranny mount for 3 degrees or whatever it takes to get carb mount at 0 degres.

When dealing with a short wheel base chassis, The {SHORT} DRIVE LINE is all that you should be worried about, as it is real easy to change the carb angle, besides carbs will work at crazy angles, look at how well your car still runs in the hills and mountains, but like I said, angle blocks are an easy fix for those that need or want it... :)

If you put a level on the carb pad on the intake it should automatically give you a 3 degree DOWN angle on the trans. You need the driveshaft angle to balance out to 0 so you would need to angle the rearend pinion UP 3 degrees ( -3 plus +3 = 0)

Bob,

I hope you get more reponses as I am only about 95% sure on this but here goes, there should be a 3 degree angle in relationship to your tranny output shaft and the driveline. Again a 3 degree angle in relationship to your pinion output shaft of the rear end and the driveline. I think this is what BlownT is telling you but I visilized from what he said that the tranny shaft is downward 3 degrees and the rearend is pointed upward 3 degrees, setting up 0 degrees on each u-joint. This is the part that I am only 95 % sure on, and that is each u-joint should have a 3 degree offset. I will return after using the power of the internet to find out.

Bob

Bob,

I hope you get more reponses as I am only about 95% sure on this but here goes, there should be a 3 degree angle in relationship to your tranny output shaft and the driveline. Again a 3 degree angle in relationship to your pinion output shaft of the rear end and the driveline. I think this is what BlownT is telling you but I visilized from what he said that the tranny shaft is downward 3 degrees and the rearend is pointed upward 3 degrees, setting up 0 degrees on each u-joint. This is the part that I am only 95 % sure on, and that is each u-joint should have a 3 degree offset. I will return after using the power of the internet to find out.

Bob
Other than 3 degrees being the MAX, my research confirms my above post.

Typically you don't want to run more than 3 degrees difference. In these cars with the trans down 3 degrees and the rearend up 3 degrees equals 0 degrees offset. Some say you need some offset for your ujoints to work properly.You have 3 degrees to play with to get the look right so your header pipes are not angled down, more level.
So what about those big 4 wheel drives with a 12" lift and 40+" tires? More than 3 degrees! With the 3 degree rule, a motor mounted radiator fan would be sticking out the hood!!!

Typically you don't want to run more than 3 degrees difference. In these cars with the trans down 3 degrees and the rearend up 3 degrees equals 0 degrees offset. Some say you need some offset for your ujoints to work properly.You have 3 degrees to play with to get the look right so your header pipes are not angled down, more level.
So what about those big 4 wheel drives with a 12" lift and 40+" tires? More than 3 degrees! With the 3 degree rule, a motor mounted radiator fan would be sticking out the hood!!!
Different ball game...ruggs

Drive shaft angle is the same what ever it is in, those 4X4s usually install new U joints very regularly, sometimes every 6 weeks or so... I don't know bout you, but I can not afford that... I have been running the same joints ever since I destroyed mine that crazy night, many years ago..:)

It is true that you want the driveshaft angle at tranny to be the same as the angle at the diff. So, if engine is down x degrees and diff is up x degrees; then the shaft angle at the tranny will be the same as the shaft angle at the diff. Simple geometry. The tranny and the diff are usually not exactly in line with each other. The Ford 8.8 axle input shaft is offset to the right by about 2 inches so it will never be inline with the tranny output shaft. The u-joints will always be at some angle of operation. A section in the Spirit Cars FAQs page explains all of this. It's not complicated.

don't know about a Ford 8.8 but on the Ford 9" the pinion is inline with the trans and the housing is offcenter about 2". I run a buggy spring on the rear so I cut the axle tube on one side and shortened it so the housing is CENTERED in the middle of the buggy spring (and I have Moser axles). This causes the rearend pinion to be about 2" offcentered from the trans yoke. Also my driveshaft is only 10 1/2" yoke to yoke. I run HD 1350 u-joints and yokes and keep them well lubricated (after I learned my lesson on the original u-joint and having it go on the side of the road). As I said before I put a level on the carb base on the intake. The trans is down 3 degrees and the rearend pinion is up 3 degrees.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back