Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

trans case in black chrome

Gerry

Hi Guys.

I have been talking to the guy who did my fuel tank about the 350 trans case. My block is hand finished and blocked before being coated in black. So I want my trans case to be black where it meets the block. Talking to Darren we have explored the ideas of a 'water' black color but I am edging towards the black chrome finish. Thinking about a fade from black at the bell housing end to almost chrome at the tailshaft.

Welcome you thoughts and opinions.
Gerry

You are the man when it comes to great ideas. Perfection takes time to many people rush a build to drive but end up with something that needs work.

I guess it can be done...we've never attempted the fade, as we've never been asked to. As for black/translucent chrome, we've had a lot of issues with that particular powder from several manufacturers. This is not just us but industry-wide--several manufacturers have reformulated them recently to get them better. Some items turn out good and some do not. It is the only color we are currently not offering as we've had to redo so much of it. We have gotten some new reformulated powder (after we sent the old back) a few weeks ago, but have not tried it yet. The issue is that it comes out mottled, and not even like the other translucents and candies do.

We have done a lot of trans cases and they look nice when they are done. Just make sure you spend a lot of time blowing it out and cleaning it before re-assembly!

I guess it can be done...we've never attempted the fade, as we've never been asked to. As for black/translucent chrome, we've had a lot of issues with that particular powder from several manufacturers. This is not just us but industry-wide--several manufacturers have reformulated them recently to get them better. Some items turn out good and some do not. It is the only color we are currently not offering as we've had to redo so much of it. We have gotten some new reformulated powder (after we sent the old back) a few weeks ago, but have not tried it yet. The issue is that it comes out mottled, and not even like the other translucents and candies do.

We have done a lot of trans cases and they look nice when they are done. Just make sure you spend a lot of time blowing it out and cleaning it before re-assembly!

BenT & Gerry,
First off, I'm not a professional powder coater but, I do alot of it. I have done fading and did have molting problems. I took my paint experience and turned it to powdercoating by spraying clear over the chrome powder then doing the candy fade and another clearcoat. There is alot more to it than this but thought I would give an overview. I first did it on a jetboat pump about 3 years ago and it hasn't had any problems to date. Business wise, with the time invested, I lost my butt............ruggs

I am afraid I am a party spoiler on this subject, all that coating, whether it is powder coating or paint, they all hold heat... All Auto trans run hotter than engines already... I just use flat Black spray can paint to hide the trans, sure as heck do not want to see it, ever! But I guess if you are not really going to drive that much, what the heck... :) Dazzle them with Bling. Heck Gerry, your cool ride will be and is too low to see under anyway.

I am afraid I am a party spoiler on this subject, all that coating, whether it is powder coating or paint, they all hold heat... All Auto trans run hotter than engines already... I just use flat Black spray can paint to hide the trans, sure as heck do not want to see it, ever! But I guess if you are not really going to drive that much, what the heck... :) Dazzle them with Bling.
Ted,
What I did was on a jetboat pump, I'm guessing the water took care of heat...ruggs

On a Jet pump. that is a super GREAT idea! I only worry about things that need air to help keep them cool, I suppose if a person was using a totally different and good sized radiator/cooler just for the trans, you may just be alright with all the coating, same as what boats do, by they are using the cool water to cool everything, that is much better than in a car and not having all that cool water, all the time... Getting stuck in traffic makes a lot of heat, every where.

I am afraid I am a party spoiler on this subject, all that coating, whether it is powder coating or paint, they all hold heat... All Auto trans run hotter than engines already... I just use flat Black spray can paint to hide the trans, sure as heck do not want to see it, ever! But I guess if you are not really going to drive that much, what the heck... :) Dazzle them with Bling. Heck Gerry, your cool ride will be and is too low to see under anyway.

Did nt consider the heat thing. Wonder how hot it will get and if a small cooler would solve the problem. I was not going to run a cooler as Ts dont really need them but maybe I should. You know what Im like. the idea of a faded black chrome trans case just appeals to me. It would phase the color from a black block (which was ground, hand blocked and polished to give a mirror finish) to the chrome at the rear end.
From under the car it would look like a gradual color change from black to chrome.
Gerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back