Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Turbo 350 - tranny leak

Mallard

My tranny leaks oil right out of the shaft where the gear linkage connects. Is it too full ? or is there a seal shot ?

Nope, I had the exact same problem on the newly rebuilt one in my T. There is a little seal in there that dries up. NAPA sells a little tool that looks like a small socket the fits over that shaft, and it has outside threads on one end and a wrench head on the other. You turn it clockwise into the seal and the threads bite in and grip it . Then you turn a bolt on the end that slowly pulls the seal out of there.

Then you just tap the new seal into place and you are done. The tool is a KD 2393. About $ 20 and it took me all of 5 minutes to do with only an inch of room to spare around that shaft.

Don

I changed mine when I bought it. I was going to buy the tool, but after I went to the parts store and saw what the seal looked like, I didn't get it. I lightly poked it with a sharp punch and pryed it out. Then, I set the new seal in place, found a deep socket the same size as the seal to fit over the linkage bolt and tapped the new seal in place.

Go to the auto parts store and see the seal. You'll know what to do. It's so small that if you drop it, you may not find it.

Reminds me of the wedding ring I got my ex. It was so small, she forgot she was married!:eek::lol:

Just pry it out like fred said, then use a socket to knock the new one in straight.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back