Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Turn signal switch

Francis Blake

My brake lights went out recently and after all morning trying to figure out why, I just cut the wire that I thought went directly to the brake lights and found out it goes to the turn signal switch (should have known this because I installed it) and I finally figured it was supposed to be an interrupter type switch. They worked for several months before quitting so I had forgotten how they were wired up. So another fine speedway product goes bad, thats #2. Who makes a really good turn signal switch? I am through with cheap stuff. Oh this was supposed to be their heavy duty switch

Looks just like the one from speedway. Don't remember what I paid but I don't think it was that much. It must be built better on inside.

Looks just like the one from speedway.

I didn't have good luck with the Speedway switch. Mine only lasted a couple of months after I got the car on the road. I replaced it with a Grote brand switch from a heavy truck supply house.

Mike

Ron the switch that was on the car quit working the front turn signals so I replaced it with a cheap speedway switch that I had and it was no good so I bought the heavy duty switch and put it on last fall. It is the kind that the brake light goes through it and that function is what gave up, but it still works the turn signals, so for now I am putting extra brake lights on the rear and running the brake light switch to them. I will put a new Ron Francis switch in this fall when the weather gets cold.

All these units come from overseas. The Ron Francis unit is the same exact unit that Speedway sells. Ron just jacks up the price; you're paying for the name. A lot of SEMA folks just slap their label on stuff and resell it. My expensive electric water pump; I peeled off the label (big racing name) and it had the real label under it: it was a marine bilge pump made by Jabsco!

All these units come from overseas. The Ron Francis unit is the same exact unit that Speedway sells. Ron just jacks up the price; you're paying for the name. A lot of SEMA folks just slap their label on stuff and resell it. My expensive electric water pump; I peeled off the label (big racing name) and it had the real label under it: it was a marine bilge pump made by Jabsco!
Yeah that's pretty common. When I was in college I worked as a factory temp during the summer and flipped burgers at night year round. One of my temp jobs was working at Aermotor building pumps. They were all pretty much the same some might get a different color housing but functionally they were all the same. They all had to meet the same specs too. The big mark-up was the sticker that went on them. Some stickers doubled the retail cost of the unit. ;)

I do so hate to pile on :devilish:, but 20 years ago a big name sold me (fool that I was) a 100 amp alternator for $200. It turned out to be a stock GM CS100 unit, worth about $50 at the time.

Well, if they are the same, and I believe ya, why do some folks say it's better and lasts longer?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back