Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ve

LarryH

I really like the looks of the vertical steering column in my T-Bucket but it sure leaves alot to be desired in the foot room department. I plan on freshening the car up next winter so i'm seriously considering changing the steering set up and mounting the box in front of the firewall. Can i use the T box or will i need a different box?

Your box should work (reversed Corvair?). You would need to - 1.get a new bracket (CCR) 2.cut a hole in the firewall 3.get a steering column support (and reinforce the dash). 4. shorten your drag link -yadayadayada. I don't understand how a vertical column can hinder your your foot room - I love mine (actually 3 degrees off vertical) and set it up for my body. Keep in mind the relocation may change the angle of the drag link in relation to your radius rods (ackerman).

It's a T box. I'm one of those guys that uses my left foot on the brake pedal and it's kinda hard to use both feet with my left foot stuffed between the door panel and the steering column.

It's a T box. I'm one of those guys that uses my left foot on the brake pedal and it's kinda hard to use both feet with my left foot stuffed between the door panel and the steering column.

sorry to contradict you but I believe it is not a T box. The T box had a quaudeant at the tpo of the colunm with 4 gears in it to reduce the gear ratio so the steering wasn't so possitive (such as with a go-kart).The "box" at the bottom of the column was not much more that a pillow bocl for the pitman arm.

If by some odd chance it is aT column shortened by all means replace it as soon as possible or stay off any road we might meeat on. PLZ!!!!!!!

Ron

Your box should work (reversed Corvair?). You would need to - 1.get a new bracket (CCR) 2.cut a hole in the firewall 3.get a steering column support (and reinforce the dash). 4. shorten your drag link -yadayadayada. I don't understand how a vertical column can hinder your your foot room - I love mine (actually 3 degrees off vertical) and set it up for my body. Keep in mind the relocation may change the angle of the drag link in relation to your radius rods (ackerman).

I think that you should look up the definition of what "Ackerman" is.

Jim

Ackerman has nothing to do with the angle of the drag link.

Here is a VERY good explanation of what Ackerman is.

http://www.nationaltbucketalliance.com/tech_info/chassis/ackerman/Ackerman.asp

Jim

There is a book From Tex Smiths called how to build a Hot Rod Chassas. It has tons of info an every angle with complete descriptios and the do and don't. Very good read.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back