Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

very interesting t builder company

I have lusted after the NEHR T bucket. I hope to build something similar some day. I like most of the design but would change a few things. I have read the box is 68 VW.

I agree their cars are beautiful but the price for a rolling chassis is a disgrace. I am currently working on putting together a kit to build a car similar to this that will include everything except the engine, trans, s10 rear and battery that you weld together for less than 12 grand. This will be using most parts from the great Ron Pope Motorsports. I believe that everyone should be able to afford a hotrod and not go into debt building one.

The frame drop in front of the firewall makes for big hump and little foot room. Your left foot goes into the "speed blister."

100_1289.jpg

I have to say that those cars are over priced for sure. I also have to disagree about the fact that they are beautiful. The front kick up is not my cup of tea.

So that is what that hump is on the side of the body. Very strange. I wondered what that was in the video of the orange T.:rolleyes:

Don

I don't think the Zee at the front is the problem for the small foot space...more that the car is so low and the drivetrain thus being mounted so high relative to the frame.

I kinda thought "there are a few quirks to this bucket" when I first saw them, but then I realized something.
They've actually taken an age old layout and rethought the whole assembly!

Buckets that look very much like this at first glance really aren't that much like them at all.
The guys rethought a whole bunch of stuff to make it easier for them to fabricate a good working chassis "in house", without becoming a slave to the mail order suppliers, and STILL came up with a good looking car that obviously works and drives well.
I give them full respect for doing it their own way and still having a car that "fits" undeniably into the pure Hot Rod pigeon hole!!!

In my warped mind...this little bucket is the pure continuation of where the bucket would have gone if they had remained function before looks, like the old Lakes Mods or Track Tees. The late 50's turned a corner for the bucket into more of a show car and then Fad T which caught on very fast and kinda smothered the pure function thing of the early days.
To me, that side scoop/toe blister is a brilliantly simple response to a need. Pure function...yet not out of place suprisingly.
Just like the days of old.

By the way, I'm NOT a dealer for them and I don't know them...just a bit of a fan. LOL :D
Now...about that price!?!?!? :eek: OUCH!!!

They only z-d the frame to eliminate the need of a dropped axle. The speed blister is ugly and could be eliminated by widening the body, for the price they charged they should have done this. also notice the diamond tread floor cushion from lowes used as interior panels and the boat seats bought at the local marine shop.

They only z-d the frame to eliminate the need of a dropped axle. The speed blister is ugly and could be eliminated by widening the body, for the price they charged they should have done this. also notice the diamond tread floor cushion from lowes used as interior panels and the boat seats bought at the local marine shop.

Exactly.
Didn't need to hit the aftermarket for a dropped axle etc...didn't need to go to the effort of widening a body and potentially having the proportions off.
They made things work with simplicity and easy parts sourcing in mind for both themselves in construction and the home builder in finishing.

The admittedly funky Zee even allows for the Vdub steering box to be mounted outside the bucket with a great column angle to increase what little available foot room there is!
As for the stuff from Lowes, thats just personal choice for the guy who buys the kit really. You can glam it up or slum it down! Hahaha

Totally personal opinion on my part but I can see a functional brilliance to the whole thing.
I LOVE all buckets...but this thing for all its oddities and quirks just somehow grabs me.

Now...thats NOT to say I might not like your version even more...and the price for their kit is a bit inflated or so it seems!!!

Lexan gotta go.......Don't like that!

Exactly.
Didn't need to hit the aftermarket for a dropped axle etc...didn't need to go to the effort of widening a body and potentially having the proportions off.
They made things work with simplicity and easy parts sourcing in mind for both themselves in construction and the home builder in finishing.

The admittedly funky Zee even allows for the Vdub steering box to be mounted outside the bucket with a great column angle to increase what little available foot room there is!
As for the stuff from Lowes, thats just personal choice for the guy who buys the kit really. You can glam it up or slum it down! Hahaha

Totally personal opinion on my part but I can see a functional brilliance to the whole thing.
I LOVE all buckets...but this thing for all its oddities and quirks just somehow grabs me.

Now...thats NOT to say I might not like your version even more...and the price for their kit is a bit inflated or so it seems!!!
I do like it but they should have passed the savings on, just seems greedy to me is all, as for the look in a whole, well i still like it there are just some things i would change and the price would be the biggest thing. The same things might be said about mine as well.

The "speed blister" is a neat idea. I would blend it into the body on both sides, add really nice grills and a flap inside to close it off in cold weather. Something like the scoops on my bed:

T%252520rear%252520qtr.jpg

Take a look at what you get with a Speedway TRIBUTE T for 5k (that's with a Winters quick change) and tell me who offers the better value.

Ron

Take a look at what you get with a Speedway TRIBUTE T for 5k (that's with a Winters quick change) and tell me who offers the better value.

Ron
Actually, from what I could read there, (a bit confusing for sure) its $4000.00 for the chassis/body/front axle etc and an additional $5000.00 for the quickchange and some other rear stuff.
STILL an amazing deal!

You are apparently right, it's 5k for the QC option. They sell a Curry 9" for $900 with the standard kit and an extra 1k for the rear end pieces, it's still less than half of the NEHR kit.

Ron

You are apparently right, it's 5k for the QC option. They sell a Curry 9" for $900 with the standard kit and an extra 1k for the rear end pieces, it's still less than half of the NEHR kit.

Ron
Problem with the Tribute T is it has been unavailable for over a year, every time I go to the Speedway website, the kit is backordered. Doesn't matter how cool it is or how much of a good deal it is if you can't buy one.:thumbsdown:

I have been self employed for 17 years and have tried a few business ventures. Everything always looks better from the outside looking in. Maybe these guys are making out but I doubt it.
1. All the overhead of shop, equipment, insurance, advertising, employees, inventory, TAXES, etc.
2. They are building something for a very limited market. How man people actually want a T hot rod and how many will actually ever own one? I hope too someday but I am in the minority of my hot rod friends.

I think Speedway used the NEHR design and changed it some for their tribute T or maybe NEHR saw Don's 23 and changed it some for their design. We all do that. We may have one or two orginal ideas incorporated into the 32, but that is probably abou it.

I am glad for inovators and that I can borrow from them.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back