Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Welding my differential question

baddawgcustoms

Daddy said the only dumb question is the one not asked so I'm asking. Would It be ok if I just tack welded by brackets to my diff without it cleaned out? o_O Don't really want to start a fire! I'm draining it but really want to go ahead and tack my brackets before I tear it down later. Never had to weld to a rear so even tho it sounded to me to be a a dumb question I thought I would ask for opinions anyway.

You can weld it with the grease in it. Just make sure the vent is open, so no pressure builds inside. If the vent is plugged up it will most likely blow an axle, or pinion seal.

Good deal and thanks. Hopefully be calling you soon for some 4 bar brackets and buggy spring brackets. Hopefully have the frame finished up this weekend if work doesn't send me out of town again. I want to run the hairpin rods on the back and front and I'm sure you can use 4 bar ends in those correct? And I'm liking the adjustable brackets you have for the buggy spring. Got lucky and scored a dif out of a cutlas. Freebie! And I'm still tickled pink with that fiberglass body. Man I've seen some shoddy fiberglass in my time but not on that stretch body!

Just remember to weld a little bit on each side and let it cool down for 1/2 hour or so. otherwise you may end up with a bent housing. You'd be very surprised on how easy they bend. Check it with couple of straight edges and a tape when you're done. You can usually make any corrections by heating and quenching with cold water .

Just remember to weld a little bit on each side and let it cool down for 1/2 hour or so. otherwise you may end up with a bent housing. You'd be very surprised on how easy they bend. Check it with couple of straight edges and a tape when you're done. You can usually make any corrections by heating and quenching with cold water .
Thanks Golly. Had not even considered it could warp. It's has too high a gear in it, but for free I can afford to rebuild it nice once I have the brackets tacked and mocked up. May even have to shorten it a little but it would be all brand new inside when I'm finished. Have to find some wheals and get the right tires and we will see. Thanks.

Thanks Golly. Had not even considered it could warp. It's has too high a gear in it, but for free I can afford to rebuild it nice once I have the brackets tacked and mocked up. May even have to shorten it a little but it would be all brand new inside when I'm finished. Have to find some wheals and get the right tires and we will see. Thanks.

May I suggest that you make some wheels/tires out of plywood to the O.D. of the tires that you plan to use. It will facilitate how your car will profile before you buy tires and find that they are not to your liking. Much like mocking up the frame out of wood first before the steel.

Jim

P.S. Here is a link to a little of my build to show what I'm talking about: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=33992&page=6&perpage=5&reverse=

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back