Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What am I Missing?

Hey folks, I recently dropped my engine and transmission in my RPM frame in a early mock-up and something doesn't seem right. I have a hunch I could be missing something obvious and could use another set of eyes but it seems to me possible the engine-frame mounts aren't right. Looking at the pictures you'll see the engine sits too high and that's without the rubber bushings. The gap between trans and engine, both in height (1 1/2") and distance (1 1/4") with the transmission mount bolts resting in their respective crossmember holes; also note there's about 1/2" space beteen the tailhousing and upper trans crossmember which seems OK. I figure if there's something I'm missing it's some stupidly obvious thing but it could also be something else experienced eyes may catch.

From my measurements I could set the engine back to meet the transmission where it sits and still be OK with the body.T mock up (4).JPG T mock up (8).JPG T mock up (7).JPG

i should also throw in i considered that all fully done there should be a few degrees in drivetrain angle but i don't think that will do one bit of good bringing the two together. also, maybe the engine mounts (motor mounts on the engine) are wrong? i tried to post photos but can't reduce the size of the image enough to please the restrictions of the forum.

Last edited:
ah ha! i think i found a sneaky way to get the pictures small enough. if i flip one side (passengers) motor mount i think it may move the engine back enough but i don't think it will work with the other side. mounting bosses on the block are staggered.

mm 1.jpg mm 2.jpg

Are you sure the mounts are for a small block Ford? Also, what transmission is it set up for? Those specs all make a difference. And you are right; moving the motor mounts is no big deal. Hope it all works out. ;)

Are you sure the mounts are for a small block Ford? Also, what transmission is it set up for? Those specs all make a difference. And you are right; moving the motor mounts is no big deal. Hope it all works out. ;)

i let ron know i wanted it set up for a small block ford, and those do look like ford mounts as far as i can tell, but who knows. thanks!

i bit of an update. i took another look and was able to slide the trans forward just a bit. it's difficult to tell if it is enough but it looks to me to still be short a bit. frankly, with the engine sitting as high as it is it seems to not matter much.

so, again, another set of eye that catches anything would be appreciated. figured with so many experienced builders here there would be someone and since i'm already trying to get in touch with ron about an order my hope is posting my question here would be more productive.

If it was me, I would bolt the trans to the block, remove the trans mount, and maneuver the assembly around until I located the sweet spot. After verifying drive shaft angle and clearance for all related components, determine what needs adjusted... could be a different mount, slotting some holes, or possibly relocating some mounts. I’ve done quite a few power train swaps over the years and that’s how I’ve always done it. I also set the vehicle at or as close to ride height, or at least ride angle, as possible and use a torpedo level on the carb mount on the intake to help locate it.

We did something similar with mine, by cutting the trans crossmember and welding some "ears" to the frame. By drilling holes in the "ears" & trans cross member, we bolted it back in and slotted the holes in the mount. Now my trans can be removed without having to disturb the engine by unbolting the crossmember, and the holes in the trans mount are easy to line up.

Trans cross member.jpg

Last edited:
all good advice. but since this came all welded up from ron's shop, and he's been doing this forever, i figured it's more likely it's me that's got it wrong somehow. before i go chopping stuff up i want to be sure something's off but if i have to cut and move, i will.

You have to ask yourself. If you bolt the engine and trans together and the mounting positions don't line up, either you are using a different setup than what it was deigned for or Ron did something wrong. I would thing a simple phone call would answer the question. Ask for the dimension from the centerline of the engine mount to the centerline of the trans mount. Ask what engine trans setup it was designed for.

You have to ask yourself. If you bolt the engine and trans together and the mounting positions don't line up, either you are using a different setup than what it was deigned for or Ron did something wrong. I would thing a simple phone call would answer the question. Ask for the dimension from the centerline of the engine mount to the centerline of the trans mount. Ask what engine trans setup it was designed for.

good idea. i'm reaching out to ron and will take some reference measurements. i am also concerned about the motor mount position (height). i can't find any other rpm frames with ford engines for a visual check but i can pass along my pix and see what he has to say.

i'm no dummy but even the best of us can miss something obvious and that's why i bugged you all before buggin' ron.

I'm sure Ron will have the answer.

ron and i have been on the phone and email figuring this out. took a bunch of measurements and it's looking like i'll be settling the engine/trans back into the trans mount and he says he'll cut some modified upper mounts to make up the difference.

it's either that or me cutting the lower mounts and shifting them back. we never quite figured out the how or why of things but it's not the end of the world.

here's some pix of the trans bolted to the block.
a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg

Motor looks real close to the crossmember. Will a radiator fit in there?

good eyes. that is a concern of mine. with the engine and transmission as far back as it can go with the existing trans mount i think a radiator and mechanical (non-clutch of course) fan will just fit. keep in mind i asked ron for a shorter frame/wheelbase. and with the drivetrain all the way back (note trans mount studs are forward here) i still have room for the body according to my measurements.

also, i do not plan on using those pulleys. i'll be switching to the older v-type but it will all be snug.

for perspective i'm going along the lines of some mid-60s buckets with short proportions. some of those cars had wheelbases less than 100 inches and i'm shooting for about 100".

Attachments

• Tom Burgeson T.jpg
    Tom Burgeson T.jpg
    768.6 KB · Views: 40
  • rough t 1.jpg
    rough t 1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 38
  • bird advert.jpg
    bird advert.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 37

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back