Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What am I Missing?

thanks folks. i am looking at different types of upper mounts and looking at the ways guys did it back in the day for the lower. i figure shock travel will play a role in what i do as well.

Compress your shock all the way. Make a mark. Now , extend your shock all the way. Make another mark. Now make a mark in the middle of those 2 marks. Compress your shock to the middle mark. Mount your shock in that position. Your shock will have the same amount of travel in either direction.

That’s the way I did mine. There isn’t much travel in either direction on my bucket. You can tell, at least on the compression stroke. If the front end moves up or down 1 inch that would be a lot. Total travel of the front shock probably is 4-5”. I don’t have to worry about the rear shock travel because there aren’t any. I’m thinking of replacing the leaf spring with coil overs in the back.

thanks a lot folks. seriously, it's stuff like this i have questions about. i see some buckets with real short shocks and other a bit longer. i figured i'd determine appropriate shocks and get/make the mounts i need. some reading i've done suggests that, generally, shocks should be around 5 degrees from vertical or so. does that sound right?

some reading i've done suggests that, generally, shocks should be around 5 degrees from vertical or so. does that sound right?

That's a good general rule. I made mine straight up vertical to get the most damping in "jounce" mode, thinking it would make a smoother ride. Can' really say it helped, but . . . I ain't changing it at this point! Anyhow, when I'm driving it, I'm thinking more about acceleration / deceleration than ride quality! (LOL)

All the good riding cars have longer wheelbases. Think limousine. My first bucket had a 144” wheelbase and rode and was the most stable “performance” car I had ever driven. I could start from a dead stop on the mat with both hands off the wheel! Can anybody do that? Hopefully I can duplicate that with my new project. It’s wheelbase will be 155”!

I can sure tell the Steel 1927 Cedan was only built on a 98 inch wheel base on some of these New Mexico roads......But having said that, the Indepenent front end and my 15 degrees rear shocks makes for a pretty good ride...I like it.......My 110 inch Yelot rides pretty good but it does so on a Jag rear end...I drive them cause I like 'em not just for the ride....my .02 that proabley not even worth that much......LOL..

Here's what Chassis Engineering has to say about shock angles...

thanks for that. i have chassis and race car books but seem to have little luck finding hot rod/t-bucket specific stuff. i realize the basics all apply but i have a number of design questions beyond this. still, i copied this to my file for reference. thanks!

edit: i just remembered... i have this book.

Last edited:
just to clarify, my goal is to build a car in keeping with many of the mid-60s cars that catch my eye. you'll note i have leaf spring perches so all that "comfy ride" jazz ain't my biggest priority.

gary oconnors father in law late 60s.jpg safety and looks, in that order.

Read Tech. Articles in this Forum and other Forums.

All you need to build a new car safe and proper is in them.

Read Tech. Articles in this Forum and other Forums.

All you need to build a new car safe and proper is in them.

i've begun trying to sift through the threads for relevant stuff. maybe it's just me but finding answers in a forum format seems difficult and i don't want to commit the cardinal sin of asking questions already answered. so i usually don't.

i prefer reading books and talking with experienced folks directly. unfortunately the books i've bought thus far (tony thacker and tex smith) are mostly historical overviews light on technical stuff.

i've begun trying to sift through the threads for relevant stuff. maybe it's just me but finding answers in a forum format seems difficult and i don't want to commit the cardinal sin of asking questions already answered. so i usually don't.

I think you're safe with this group. We're not going to jump on you just because you ask a question that may have already been answered. We've all had to learn along the way, so . . . throw those questions at us! Also, the more you clarify what your vision is, the more we can help.

I think you're safe with this group. We're not going to jump on you just because you ask a question that may have already been answered. We've all had to learn along the way, so . . . throw those questions at us! Also, the more you clarify what your vision is, the more we can help.

i appreciate that. i belonged to a classic motorcycle forum and it was pretty darn good. it spoiled me. been in, and lurked among, others not as relaxed. when i have more specific questions i think it will help me in searching here as t-test suggested and will be more productive when i post.

still, it would be nice to find some good books.

If you like videos check out “Tbucketplans.com”. I have been building buckets for 50 years and I rewatch Bob Hamilton’s videos over and over. He also has the books you may like.

a while back i bought the 'street rod 101' three-pack. some good stuff but it's hit and miss in my opinion. the one where he spends the entire video on his specific, disabled-accessable, street rod was a waste of money. i fell alseep part way through it. the fiberglassing videos were more helpful.

i also bought the bundle of t-bucket plans from john. i watched them several times but i might go over them again to see if i missed something that can help me now.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back