Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Where Do I Start?

godchaser49

Hello again tbucketteers! I finally got my original 1927 Model T chassis/parts home this week (see pics attached), but I have one question; WHERE DO I START??? Its a rust bucket now and I know I'm gonna have to disassemble everything and clean/replace/repair, etc., but I'd like to get some opinions where I should begin. Also, I have a lot of original parts that Im not using and would like to sell them to help finance my next few steps; I have an original motor, transmission, rear-end, etc., any suggestions on the best places to sell parts? Thanks again for your help. God bless.

Jason

Attachments

• 0826101845a.jpg
    0826101845a.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 0826101846a.jpg
    0826101846a.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 0826101847.jpg
    0826101847.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 48
Very good question.

I still seem to be asking myself that after being at the beginning for a long time. ;)
The good folks here will chime in with great advise.

I have a few questions for you. Please forgive me if you answered these before but I don't think that's the case...

What do you have for a place to work on this?
What tools do you have?
How about skills? Welding. Body work. Mechanical. Electrical. General fabbing. That sort of stuff.
Friends to help?
Welding equipment?
Tools?
Budget?
What is the goal? What type of car are you looking for when all is said and done.
Title. Have a legal title for this or a plan? That's job one.

I believe that those are a few things that need to be answered before most folks can give you serious answers of direction.

My main area to be able to help you with is getting rid of that rust. By the way, the Nova Scotia climate makes me a reluctant experienced person. I hate the term expert.
You have many choices.
Blasting (my least fav.), reverse electrolysis(great), molasses and water (really great but slow... as molasses.. don't laugh if you haven't heard of that method), acids (ick except for Oxalic Acid), Evapo-Rust or Safest Rust Remover (fantastic if you have the $$)... and the list goes on. They all have their place.
When you get to that stage.. ask. :)

I am thinking about doing a tech-post on the subject if the guys are interested.

Remember to keep it fun and safe. When those two things start to go away.. it's not good.

Very good question.

I still seem to be asking myself that after being at the beginning for a long time. ;)
The good folks here will chime in with great advise.

I have a few questions for you. Please forgive me if you answered these before but I don't think that's the case...

What do you have for a place to work on this?
What tools do you have?
How about skills? Welding. Body work. Mechanical. Electrical. General fabbing. That sort of stuff.
Friends to help?
Welding equipment?
Tools?
Budget?
What is the goal? What type of car are you looking for when all is said and done.
Title. Have a legal title for this or a plan? That's job one.

I believe that those are a few things that need to be answered before most folks can give you serious answers of direction.

My main area to be able to help you with is getting rid of that rust. By the way, the Nova Scotia climate makes me a reluctant experienced person. I hate the term expert.
You have many choices.
Blasting (my least fav.), reverse electrolysis(great), molasses and water (really great but slow... as molasses.. don't laugh if you haven't heard of that method), acids (ick except for Oxalic Acid), Evapo-Rust or Safest Rust Remover (fantastic if you have the $)... and the list goes on. They all have their place.
When you get to that stage.. ask. :)

I am thinking about doing a tech-post on the subject if the guys are interested.

Remember to keep it fun and safe. When those two things start to go away.. it's not good.

I think a good tech article on rust removal would be great, with lots of pics.

Ok.. will do. :)
I'll start on it this weekend.
The molasses will take a while for the pictures but I can build on the thread.

Ok.. will do. :)
I'll start on it this weekend.
The molasses will take a while for the pictures but I can build on the thread.

How well does soda blasting work compared to sand. With the molasses does it start with collecting a bunch of moles?lol

Judging from your pictures, you have a '26 or '27 engine in an earlier chassis. Did you get a title with the car? If so, check the serial number on the engine to see if it matches. There was no number on the T frames. The rear portion of the body is from a car built in the teens. The later tourings had a dog leg in the rear doors to clear the fenders. You made a good purchase. I would like to find one like that to build a speedster out of. if the wood spokes in the wheels aren't split, give them a light sanding with 100 and then 180 grit and wipe them down with some linseed oil. they'll look like new.

check out nwspeedster.com to see what can be done with what you have.

Ron

I'm thinkin you might need to check with EPA concerning Mole asses, could be hazardous....

Putz: In fact molasses DOES attract moles!! And Raccoons and other critters. But that's not how it stars. Smarty-pants living up to your name? ;)
Ruggs: No EPA needed because both moles and molasses are naturally bio-degradable. Another smarty pants? ;)

Soda-blasting is good for removing paint. Rust... not so much. Plus the moisture factor is the concern and getting it out of cracks and crevices. And it's gotta be dry.
Write-up is almost done. Pictures are the time consuming thing. Plus work starts today. Sigh. I want to retire.

godchaser49.. have you done anything with the pile 'o parts yet?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back