Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wiring harness

When I started this thread my intention was to straighten up a wiring mess and save a couple of bucks. After reading what I have I think spending more money on a quality product is the cheapest way to go. I've ordered both the "Painless" and "Ron Francis" catalogs. I really like the remote control battery disconnect Ron Francis offers.

Dont forget to contact American Auto Wire great support and great guys there.

I'm just getting started with my ron francis kit. Hopefully if enough time this week I'll get my bucket fired up. This is my 2nd kit I used little bit more expensive but you get what u pay for. I think it's 2nd to none. Just my 2 cents worth. Lar:)

tbucketlar said:
I'm just getting started with my ron francis kit. Hopefully if enough time this week I'll get my bucket fired up. This is my 2nd kit I used little bit more expensive but you get what u pay for. I think it's 2nd to none. Just my 2 cents worth. Lar:)

Well, second to the first kit you used :D. Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.
Its good to hear everyones experiences with the wiring kits. We can make better choices from others mistakes and success'.

All of this is why I wire from scratch. If I screw up, I'm not worried 'cause I can't kick my own butt.

ron

Youngster said:
All of this is why I wire from scratch. If I screw up, I'm not worried 'cause I can't kick my own butt.

ron

I originally wired the car from scratch 40 years ago but with all the changes over the years the wiring has become an abortion. I figured the cleanest way to fix everything was to go with a kit. I just received the Ron Francis catalog in the mail today and am still awaiting the Painless. Looking through it I have to admit I've been overwhelmed with the options available to me. If anyone has had any problems or a bad experience with a Ron Francis kit I would appreciate hearing from you.

butch27 said:
Look for "Rebel Wiring" He's a rodder and makes a nice 8 circuit kit.

Butch27 go back and read the first and third post in this thread, I originally intended to use a rebel harness.

Youngster said:

ron

Ron, do you have a schematic that you can share?

I have an "It's a Snap" kit :eek: that I was originally going to use on a past project, but after reading the previous posts, think I'll unload it.

I bought that book Years ago and it's a cartoon book pretty out dated.But it does help kinda if you never wired a car before with the basics.There have been several diagrams posted here that are real good.I have american auto wires if anyone wants a copy.Just give your name+ address.And give me a week to copy them.

I was cranking my engine over so I could find compression stroke. I had my coil hook up & I might have left the Key on a few minutes later coil got so hot that the oil spewed out. it was so hot that u can't even touch it. the coil was laying on the intake not grounded would that have caused it to get hot like that.:sad:

This is just a wild guess, but here goes. With the coil just laying on the manifold the neg. side terminal may have been grounded by touching the manifold. With the key on there could have been continuous volt/amps through the coil. I would get a new coil, overheating like that most likely destroyed the coil insulation and the oil in the coil is for cooling and damping EMR. Like I said - just a guess. :cool:

Thanks for your reply Duke. I'm going to get a new coil tommorrow. I hope that is the problem. Hope it didn't hurt the distributor. Cold weather is starting to set in want to get it running this weekend so i can check everything out then I can put body on & proceed on.:lol:

I would think the distributor is okay, but guess you will find out soon. Let us know how it goes.

I finally got around to making another atempt to starting it up. Got me another coil hooked it up & after a few minutes of hard cranking she fired upwith open headers. Pretty loud but sure sounded good. I was really worried that I might have toasted the distributor but everything seems ok.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back