Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Zoomies

Johnny

Are zoomies with baffles too loud for the law? I really think they are cool, but I don't want to get into trouble with the police. Anyone running with them?

Are zoomies with baffles too loud for the law? I really think they are cool, but I don't want to get into trouble with the police. Anyone running with them?

I had the Sanderson 16" Zoomies on my T for about a month. Sounded like a Harley on steroids. With a Top they are loud and got on my nerves. I took them off and went with Sprint style headers with the short turnout.

With the Zoomies

DSC00068.JPG

Without

ps1.jpg

with any exhaust that is near the driver (exit end) the noise will be very loud in the car with a top on especially... If your engine is running a working blower, it gets no horse power from the exhaust at all, only the sound you want, and pointing where you want the exhaust (and sound) to go... If you pointed them at each other like under the chassis, the vibes would blow your mind, unbelievable. Talk about an eye/ear catcher... You would have everybody talking about your ride, the sound of your ride... :)

I had the Sanderson 16" Zoomies on my T for about a month. Sounded like a Harley on steroids. With a Top they are loud and got on my nerves. I took them off and went with Sprint style headers with the short turnout.

With the Zoomies

DSC00068.JPG

Without

ps1.jpg

Yeah, I've heard your T with those zoomies! SWEET! Do you have any kind of support for those short turnouts?

Yeah, I've heard your T with those zoomies! SWEET! Do you have any kind of support for those short turnouts?

No supports, with the short turnouts, and when I had the longer turnouts I did use supports either. I haven't had any issues so far.

Depending where you live they kinda push legally for the exhaust to exit behind the Passenger compartment. For obvious reasons.

With the Zoomies

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-XCR5wiGt-0/SC84VkD7hKI/AAAAAAAAAVg/lLCZF_x1GsM/s720/DSC00068.JPG[/im[/quote]

Do you still have the zoomies. Been wanting to get a set

Scott ? Dallas

If your engine is running a working blower, it gets no horse power from the exhaust at all, only the sound you want, and pointing where you want the exhaust (and sound) to go...

nOT EXACTLY CORRECT..... wITH A BLOWER YOU ARE PUSHING ALOT OF AIR IN. sO NATURALLY YOU WILL MAKE MORE HORSEPOWER GETTING ALL THAT AIR OUT WITH BIGGER TUBE HEADERS. sMALL TUBE HEADERS ON A BLOWER MOTOR IS CHOKING IT.

i HA D ZOOMIES AND THEY LASTED ONE WEEK. sOUNDED LIKE CRAP WITH THE BAFFLES, AND WITHOUT IT IS WAY TOO LOUD AFTER A FEW MINUTES AND YOU WILL GET A HEADACHE.

I am running a set of Zoomies the same as GT63 shows on his "T". He is correct, they are very noisy with a top on but you sure get the attention when you drive up to a stop light. I live in a small town in Michigan and have yet to be bothered by the police. I have been running without baffles, but I plan on installing them within the next few weeks. Not because I am worried about the police, but to quiet them down a little for my own benefit.
I have also run the sprint style headers with the long turnouts without mufflers and it sounds really nice. Also gets the noise down and away so you can hear yourself think. Either way, I like the sound and that is what hot rods are about. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

In a naturally-aspirated motor, there is so much power to be gained with the proper style header collector, yet people want to run zoomies. I can't ever really figure this one out. If you are running a blower, you are using the blower and the camshaft design to remove exhaust from the exhaust side of the chamber. Which means a zoomie will work just fine.

On a naturally-aspirated motor, the intake side of the combustion chamber starts at the top of a carburetor and ends at the intake valve seat. The exhaust side starts at the exhaust valve seat and ends at the outlet of the exhaust system.

Would any of us try to run an individual-runner intake, with absolutely no plenum, on a street-driven vehicle?

Have you ever seen fuel stand-off over the top of a carb, during a dyno pull? A quick cure is a merge collector.

Why give up the scavenging potential of a header collector? If there was room on a street-driver, a set of 180° headers with merge collectors would be the hot lick. I suppose it could be done on a T, but keeping primary tube lengths to a manageable number could be tricky. It would definitely pick up the vacuum signal at the bottom of the carb boosters, that much is certain. Now that would be someplace where another point or two of jet could be used, because you would be working the carb harder. :spank:

I have run zoomies for 4 years on a blown big block Chev in my bucket.

The look awesome, but even with baffles, they were so loud that you couldnt actually hear the blower whine.

Have gone to the more traditional T bucket 4 into 1 headers, and they are barely legal for noise.

I hate the current exhaust & I love my zoomies. But we cant get them quiet enough to be either legal or pleasant.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back