Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

1924 T buildup

diztroy

Hey guys, I thought I should start a build thread of the bucket that my brother and I are building for my father.

I typed up a long post....but just deleted it on accident :D darn computers! So instead of rewriting it all right now (I have to do some real work today;)), I'll just post some pictures up for now.

A work in progress....story to follow later. :D

Oh and that WON'T be the final color....thats just how we bought the body.

http://www.tbucketeers.com/forum/gallery-243

http://www.tbucketeers.com/forum/gallery-244http://www.tbucketeers.com/forum/gallery-244.html

welcome to the site. Nice fab work. Does your Dad know?

Nice ride. There's some real nice fab work there.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

My father is our "technical advisor", so he's helping decide on the overall look and what components to put on it. He's always wanted a blower sense his last bucket had one, so that was top on the list.

I can't take credit for very much of it, I'm pretty busy finishing college right now, so my brother has done all of the fab/assembly work.

I am so impressed! That's gonna be one very cool bucket. You keep posting and I'll keep readin'!!!!

Ron

Ron, Thanks! I'll keep posting as I get more pictures.

Ok, so some story time....

The story starts in the 60's with my father building a bucket T. He did a lot of car work/selling/trading/etc. and one day he got a fiberglass T body in trade. He built the frame on his garage floor and started putting it all together. It had a SBC with a 471 blower and a 4 speed trans with a solid rear end (not sure what). He worked part time at a chrome shop, so he got a lot of chrome work done at cost. I've seen a few small (old) pictures of it (he still has one in his wallet:lol:), but nothing more.

I've heard a number of stories though. I guess one day the engine backfired and there went the rotors in the blower. He stripped out the insides, but he left it on with the belt still spinning as a sort of "tunnel ram" just for looks. Another story was about him racing some girls in a pink mustang converible. I guess he was right beside them and lost some traction in gravel and slid into the side of them. He said there was a black streek all along the side of the car!

Well the day came that he decided to buy a house and all his toys had to go, (well all but one, he's still got a 68 vette in the garage). The last he heard, the bucket was in Washington state (we're in central kansas BTW).

So as you can tell growing up I heard a number of stories about this car, and he always enjoys seeing them at car shows. My older brother and I decided it would be a fun car to build, so we started to look for parts.

So the project started with partially finished body in the local craigslist. It was painted and had a floor, windshield and a few other parts. Some things were done pretty good, but other things were hacked up! Although it may have been better to start with a bare shell then this, we decided we just needed to get the ball rolling, so we bought it.

Well it sat for a while. My brother was working on redoing his Harley,

Right

and I'm just trying to finish college, but I get to visit home every once and a while. However we were always on the lookout for parts. We've got a number of SBC parts, and he managed to find a 700r4. I found a 1974 Jag to donate its rearend, and our father bought a dropped spindle I-beam at a local swapmeet. And I bought a Vega steering box at another swapmeet.

Another funny story....we went to an auction and bought a 1924 Model T engine block and then went to another swap meet and bought a 1924 licence tag. We then took our Bill of Sale and information and we now have a title and vintage tag for our 1924 Model T fiberglass body :D :lol:.

My brother started putting together an order for some metal for the frame, and the after all the right pieces showed up he started building it. We'd decided on a brass radiator, so we decided to order that, but it had a 6-8 week lead time, so he just used the measurement of it to decide how wide to build the frame. Next he ordered a spring and some clevises so he could start work on the front end. First he made a spring pirch and then started making the "batwings" for the front axle. Next came the radius rods.

He then dug up some old wire wheels and mounted some spare motorcycle tires on them and mounted everything up. The front end was now a roller. Next came the the engine and trans mounts. He used to poly bushings to give a little cushion. After the angle of the trans was determined, the Jaguar rear was next. We liked the look of the radius rods in front so he made some brackets so similiar ones could be used in back. He took the tires off his prostreet 55 and put them on the rear to get an overall idea about how it would look.

Next up was the steering. He first called me up and said he thought the vega box wouldn't work, but then after some careful placement, it looked like it would. The steering is a little different then most as it runs through the left radius rod. He made all of the steering parts and added some "speed holes" to complete the look. It should be all done now, but I havn't been back home to get pictures of it.

We stole a steering column from one of my IH scout 800's (I have many scouts :D) and he just told me today it looks like it will be a perfect fit. He's going to redo the bottom end so a different joint can be used, but it should be a nice tiny column with factory turn signials.

I havn't seen it yet, but I guess he just finished mounting an aluminum vette master cylinder and made a pedal from some Model A parts.

So thats where it is today. We've just ordered some spindle mount disk brake Dayton's for the front, they should be in next week I think. I think he's gonna wait to order the rear wheels/tires, but the overall size should be about the same. He just ordered a 6-71 BDS blower today, so that will help finalize placement of the radiator so he'll start making the mounts for it next. Also he ordered an old style 3 fin Enderle bugcatcher that he'll modify so it will fit on top of the carbs as an airfilter. At a later date we hope to convert to EFI, so it will then become the throttle body.

Other then that, we're thinking about aftermarket drilled rotors for the Jag rear and aftermarket calipers on the back side of the rearend . I found a few kits online, but I think he'll just make the parts. A finned aluminum cover will also find its way on there shortly.

Well thats it for now. I should have another update in a month or so. (I'm the only one in the family with a digital camera:lol:)

Thanks for the interest guys!

The radiator overflow......were actually going to have to get a different one because this one was designed to mount vertically, not horizontally.

It'll look the same on the outside, but the tubing on the inside will be different.

I know what ya mean so i mounted on for vertical and horizontal .See pics
DVC00047Small.jpg

DVC00046Small.jpg

Rick said:
I know what ya mean so i mounted on for vertical and horizontal .See pics

Hmmm.......in my neck of the woods we'd get ticketed for an open container. :D:lol:

Thanks RPM! Ron's right, my brother made them, still need a final welding and I think then we'll be chroming them.

Geo27T said:
Nice overflow Rick That is a great idea.:clap:

Must be a regional thing. I think I may go with a Lone Star beer can on Miss Fortune. Heck, holds just as much as the billet one I had.:lol:

You want to use some type of can that contains swill. That way your Buddy won't mistake it for something good. :eek:

Well, time for a small update.

A few weeks ago we got the Daytons, but had a hell of a time getting them aired up. We tried all of our typical tricks to get the beads seated, but nothing worked. Finally, we gave up and took them too a tire shop.....they had no luck either! Well, my dad finally noticed the inner ID of the valve stem was REALLY tiny, so he removed them and installed valve stems with a larger ID....with a little bit of persusion the beads finally seated. :lol:

Also my brother took a machining class that allowed him to build an adapter to mount the Enderle 3 rib "air cleaner" on our carbs. It should give us the general look we want until we decide to remove the carbs and modify the bug catcher for EFI to look more like real Enderle injection.

Here's a picture of the daytons and air cleaner adapter,

http://www.tbucketeers.com/forum/gallery-271

Other then that, not too much has been done to the bucket because cold weather + no heated shop = little motivation...:lol: Just been buying some little things....bought 6 1937 Ford LED tail lights , headers, alternator, waterpump, finned rear end cover, steering wheel, etc. My brother is just working on the mounts for the tail lights and a motorized tag bracket (hides tag when car is off). The fiberglass work will be next, but that will wait until the weather gets warmer.

So the car is still being built by my brother in Kansas, but I've just moved a few states away (Idaho). With the weather and my new location, updates will be few and far between, but my brother did just get a camera and he promised me a picture of the car with the headers on it.....I can hardly wait!! :hb::D

Edit: He just sent me the picture with the headers on; I added it to the album above. He had to raise the rear of the car so they'd sit level....I barely notice in the pictures, but he's not so sure if he likes it this high. Also added a picture of his alternator bracket, he wanted it mounted low so it will need an idler bracket to adjust the belt tension, not sure were he'll fit that.

You guys are putting together a great looking T, but the best part of the story is the reason it is being built, and for whom.:lol: Your Pop must have raised you guys right, and I bet it feels good to be able to return the favor.

I am really enjoying this buildup, and can't wait to see your Dad drive it for the first time. :lol::) My two Sons do these kinds of things for me, so I know how much this must mean to your Dad.

Don

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back