Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

23 T Radiator Help

Brad S

I ordered onthat said for 23 T and its 18.5" wide core, seems like all of them online are about the same size the problem is last night I took the old out and noticed I only have 18" exactly between my frame for it to slide in any ideas??

Just what i feared I got my 23 T radiator from champion cooling and it wont fir between the frame... its about 1/2" to wide So i either get brackets to jack it up higher then the frame or send it back??

That radiator would swim between my frame rails. I have to ask why would you order a radiator online without taking a measurement to insure a proper fit first? Lesson learned and a nice wall hanger I suppose.

I'll be needing one before to long, I've got 22" between rails. If you want to recoup some $ dollars back, send a pic when you are able to post them and the specs. Besides width. Maybe we can make a deal. How many cores? Is it alum? Who did you buy it from? Mike J.

I wont lose any money because I will just return it if i must obviously... Second they told me it was for my truck I told them my measurements and they came back saying it fits... I just got some brackets and Im just going to raise it up from the frame 3" looks beter i think anyway Doesnt have a shell .... I still appreciate everyones opinion Thanks

Brad,
I think you're only one post away from being able to post pictures. You'll get better answers and more responses with a picture or pictures. I'm glad you got things worked out and I agree on not losing any money on the deal when you could send it back. Good luck with the project and post pictures when you can.
Jim

I got it attached and I like it, had some metal work to get it to the frame but she is in now and looks good... I appreciate everyones help thats for sure. ill attach some pics soon.. Now the fan wont fit lol back to work im scared to attached on the core like they are telling me to do..

Well, if your talking mounting your electic cooling fan to the core, all you have to do is get some SS 10-32 all thread, make you a bracket that'll allow the allthread to land between the rows without hitting a cooling tube, cut off the thickness of core + about 1". Between the core and the bracket, add a piece of 1/16 rubber to pull down on.
Chamfer the pieces of all thread, gently slide the pieces thru your radiator. Attach to fan on one side, then to your bracket and rubber on the other. I suspect that your using a pusher....so your bracket will be toward to motor....
Afterwards, clean off your tools, sit back and enjoy a cold one!

Personally,I'm not a big fan (ha ha ) of mounting the fan thru the radiator core. I have seen the plastic fan mounts rub thru the fins after time, and I've never seen a factory electric fan mounted thru the core. There must be a reason for that.
My truck has a basic aluminum sheetmetal bracket bolted to the radiator support,and has given me no trouble in 6 years driving.

Personally,I'm not a big fan (ha ha ) of mounting the fan thru the radiator core. I have seen the plastic fan mounts rub thru the fins after time, and I've never seen a factory electric fan mounted thru the core. There must be a reason for that.
My truck has a basic aluminum sheetmetal bracket bolted to the radiator support,and has given me no trouble in 6 years driving.

I had that happen to me. The fan ring was mounted too close to the core and eventually wore through. It wasn't even mounted to the core but was still was too close. After having the core fixed, I spaced every thing back 1/8". So far, so good.:confused:

haha....yea....was at a seminar recently in Vegas, down at one of the booths the vendors set up for the Sema show, some assclown had a display that he was going on about, 'yada, yada, yada, and this is one of the best ways of mounting....'
Several guys and I ware passing going out to eat....I turned to him and asked,' Who the hell invented this piece o crap idea of putting a modified ziptie thru the damn core thru the brackets? And did they ever come to realize that as soft and delicate as those alum. radiators are, how the hell would they keep a healthy, sizible electric fan in place????'
The guys mouth just fell open, he was at a loss of words....he chose to follow my buddys and I into the restaurant, tying to make make his point.
One of the other guys at our table was the head of a racing team, he then commenced to tear into him after he heard his arguement.

Mounting to the core on anything other than a copper rad. is asking for trouble. Alum....if you don't sandwich them with a rubber gasket, then a bracket to spread out the load across the fins, is only asking for trouble. If you're gonna go to the trouble to mount one, at least make a mount to utilizes the radiator mounts on the side to attach the fan.
And has anyone with alum. radiators had any problem with electrolysis?

Brad, This maybe a little off the original topic and I apologize, but Screaming, Golly and I vered down a different path about fans mounted to the core so I wanted to show some fan & shroud changes I recently made to my system. My original 12" fan wasn't getting it done so I wanted to add some additional CFMs so I fabricated a shroud to add 2 additional small fans producing 300 CFMs each. Oh as I stated earlier my 12" fan had rubbed through my core. First I fabricated a sheet metal shroud to house all three fans. this was actually a lot of fun.
IMG_20130628_160448_zpsa555ed90.jpg

Had to lower the 12" fan a little bit from it's original position.
IMG_20130628_161049_zps6113760c.jpg

Once I was happy with the sheet metal work and how everything fit, I sand blasted and painted a dark metallic grey. Doesn't look like much after the mechanicals are removed.
IMG_20130628_182806_zps96c4f52b.jpg

After some time to dry, it was time to re-assemble the fans with some SS fasteners and re-wired to terminal block.
IMG_20130628_191106_zps889ec1dd.jpg

Now many of you are scratching your heads and asking why the strange configuration of fans. Well one of the POs designed the T-Bucket with only 2" between the water pump and core and most off the shelf fans are thicker than 2". I designed it so the water pump nose goes exactly between the three fans.
IMG_20130628_204900_zpsdeb78a58.jpg

Once re-assembled and everything thoroughly checked out, it was time to get her off the jack stands for a test ride. So far it has kept the temperature in check. The only thing I don't like is the fans sound like a jet taking off
IMG_20130628_214337_zps791507de.jpg

Mike

Certainly looks like you have the problem solved. This is exactly why I like this place. You had a problem, got some suggestions, used your knowledge and designed a solution. There isn't an owners manual or a template to follow. Great job.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back