Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

23 Willys change up

Willys

I haven't been on here in a while, and haven't really seen my car all winter. I've been working on a Camaro all winter, but it's time to make some of the changes I've been thinking about. A couple of you might remember the car.
photobucket-26043-1345206319765.jpg

I plan on painting the car black with some red pinstriping, maybe a pinstripe flame job. block hugger headers, side pipes and a hood are on the list. A roll bar or cage will eventually be added. first of all, I decided to make the fuel tank safer, forbid I were to get rear ended in traffic. The thought of the model T tank mounted high on the back of the car bothered me.
Bought a back window panel for some sort of truck at a local swap meet for $30 thanks to the sharp eye of a buddy. I welded the window opening welt back in as some sort of finished edge for the trunk lid opening to keep water from just running in. It's a little narrower than I was thinking, but when I got to looking at it - I ended up making it how it is.
IMG_20130505_200558_681_zps0d7f170d.jpg

IMG_20130505_200353_026_zpsdd944b6e.jpg

Once I cut the taillights off and mount the cell, I'm commited to finish it, lol. the main goal is to make this car a little safer and actually legal to go under 14 on the quarter mile. It went 13.98 last year with a stock 305 in it. 14.00 is the limit for an open car with no roll bar or shoulder belts, so I'm getting the car prepared if I decide to drop a 350 or 383 in it. My wife enjoyed us going drag racing, so I figure why not, lol.
104_18082.jpg

Thanks, Maybe I'll replicate the flames I have on there, but black base. I just feel that the flames and the base color of the car are too similar. Plus, with the body mods, it will be impossible to match the paint anyway.

Outstanding ride. Really like that top. Did you make that ? I want one just like it!
I cut it off of a 94 Camaro in the salvage yard, made a frame from metal electrical conduit, and had an upholsterer true up the window openings and edges. the canvas top was $10, the conduit was about $30, and the upholsterer charged $90. I'll post pics up a little later tonight.

I cut it off of a 94 Camaro in the salvage yard, made a frame from metal electrical conduit, and had an upholsterer true up the window openings and edges. the canvas top was $10, the conduit was about $30, and the upholsterer charged $90. I'll post pics up a little later tonight.
Sounds good. Thanks

Tried to post last night from my phone, but this site isn't pic friendly on my phone for some reason.
I started by shaping 1/2" box steel around the base of the top where it meets the body. I also made a "visor" out of steel that hoods the windshield frame. 1/2" electrical conduit was bent by hand with a conduit bender from a hardware store.
top010.jpg

top011.jpg

The surfaces that mount to the car are covered in the fuzzy side of Velcro. the boot is "self tapping screw"ed on (I'd like to find some sort of buckle. The front os tied down with a stainless steel turnbuckle I found at harbor Freight. I modified them a little to put flat hooks on them.
top022.jpg

top015.jpg

The first upholsterer tried to tell me that the car would look stupid because I wanted the back of the top to slope forward because Model T's are supposed to have the roof slant backward up to a point, then forward. He did a lot more talking than he did listening, so I did it myself and had someone else tailer up the edges. I would like to buy a new top, now that I know what to use to get what I was wanting it to look like. This top is really nice ant tight, I've gone over 80ish in this car, and the roof doesn't flutter or balloon up at all.
top005.jpg

a23-2.jpg

I really like the whole package it looks like it means business. If you don't mind I will print off some of the picks and put them on my wall.

OK, more "cheapass" fabrication, lol. My company tore down a Walgreens last winter, so naturally, I went through the store beforehand and salvaged all the stainless steel door covers and kick plates. I got a sheet big enough to cut strips over 46" for my fuel cell. A kick plate I got was a pretty heavy gauge for the top straps.
IMG_20130510_190524_866_zps6710932e.jpg

It just sucks cutting that much with a cutoff wheel. I also got my saddle made out of angle tonight.
IMG_20130510_195442_435_zps71deb8d0.jpg

Well, I have the bracketry, etc. figured out. I still need to extend the frame rails. I just hope I don't have to move the rear end back to make it look right, it's looking a little longer than I imagined. I might have to go wider with the trunk, but I can't quite picture it yet.
IMG_20130512_183237_900_zps1994d850.jpg

Just took care of it, and it's authentic to the era.
Just bought this on EBay, going to pick it up this weekend.

T2eC16ZyUE9s6NGScBRiF01zv6w60_3_zpsabdf58bd.jpg

KGrHqRrIFF0IQtmmBRiF1MkMIQ60_3_zps708b7009.jpg

Got the straps done. It'd be cool to have this ready to just set the deck on and go, but I know better, lol.

IMG_20130516_194224_394_zpsd96a0063.jpg

IMG_20130516_194141_992_zps1a5d11e8.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back