Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

23 Willys change up

It's pretty close, just a little reshape on the front and 4 body mounts. Still need to figure out taillights. Eventually, the rear end will need to be moved back a few inches.

IMG_20130518_115550_945_zps5d9e5f27.jpg

IMG_20130518_115614_373_zpsc08829b0.jpg

If you go to the Lounge section & click on "how to post pics for the computer illiterate" thread , about halfway thru you'll see a white "T" w/a turtledeck , that should give you a sense of proportion . If I could I'd move the pic's , unfortunatley , me & "puter's don't get along that well . BTW , you still in peoria ?

dave

Maybe this will help. It has 108" wheelbase.

Jim

Maybe this will help. It has 108" wheelbase.

Jim
Wow, my wheelbase is already 112", the body on mine must be much longer. The proportions on your are perfect.

I did drop it down since the last pic. It is what it is at this point. I have to order taillights tomorrow if I can't think of a way to make the model A lights look right.
IMG_20130519_142920_982_zps9759efc4.jpg

You may want to consider a rolled pan.

Jim

I really like that rolled pan, I'll have to consider looking at doing that. I'm not sure since mine has a lot of exposed period trinketry like oil shocks, etc.

OK, I was planning on getting a set of 50 Pontiac taillights to stick on the back panel, but I got to staring at the side and it looked pretty bare and long. I had the taillights mounted on cut down model A stems, but they stood verticle, not horizontal. I started to make stems out of pipe, but the model A stems have a nice arch that I wanted to keep. Sooooo, I cut the mounting end off and rotated it 90°, easier said than done since the wires run inside an I was burying a mounting screw. After a couple hours of messing with the first one, the second one went pretty quick. I still had to cut both of them up little to get them adjusted alike after I thought I was finished with them. I still need to shape up the bases some so they don't have any straight edges.
I think they really help break up the excessive length that was bothering me.

IMG_20130519_195132_830_zps22fd63d9.jpg

IMG_20130519_195053_714_zps69b2868b.jpg

IMG_20130519_195256_667_zps7bcba2a1.jpg

I'm not too far off. I pie cut the front so it would match the body, I'm just out of room now.
IMG_20130518_171120_631_zps48e13484.jpg

abcxyz201_zpsf526d5db.jpg

If you go to the Lounge section & click on "how to post pics for the computer illiterate" thread , about halfway thru you'll see a white "T" w/a turtledeck , that should give you a sense of proportion . If I could I'd move the pic's , unfortunatley , me & "puter's don't get along that well . BTW , you still in peoria ?

dave

That's some pretty nice work that you've done on those Model A tail light stanchions.

Jim

I'm not getting most of the pics:mad:

Pics are back? wah?:)

I did a quick and dirty photochop. I think the tire will help a lot (after a lot of scrutiny from a friend also - that hates my short tires).

cheater2_zps19556162.jpg

cheater3_zpsf8615d93.jpg

I like the taller tires in the second one. As you can see, I'm a proponent for nice tall tires - I can run a 3.73 gear and still cruise at a decent RPM. These are 275/60/17's

Ok, I did a little shopping and may have figured something out. These are the Eddie Munster headers I had on there before.
IMG_20130526_152501_749_zps0f0d1068.jpg

I have my downpipes done. I don't like Glaspacks much, but I really couldn't come up with a simple solution. I don't have the Glaspacks on yet, I'm planning on cutting about 6" out of each one and putting turndowns on the ends. Everything I'm putting on the exhaust will be painted Satin Black. I think it really sleekens up the look of the car.

IMG_20130528_204823_946_zps48b2ca1e.jpg

IMG_20130528_204901_735_zps580ce211.jpg

You may want to reconsider putting turn downs unless you plan on only driving on well paved roads as they will kick up a lot of dust. But if you rotate them ninety degrees and have them turn outward there should be no problem.

Jim

You may want to reconsider putting turn downs unless you plan on only driving on well paved roads as they will kick up a lot of dust. But if you rotate them ninety degrees and have them turn outward there should be no problem.

Jim
Yes, I don't want to dust bath everything at a cruise-in or car show if I happen to go, lol.

If you dont know this already, when using a plastic tank like that is imperitive that you install a ground strap from the fill cap flange to the frame. Plastic tanks like this can generate static elec. and wouldnt want you or anybody have it go off when filling, In fact it is mandated in the NHRA rule book that all plastic tanks be grounded to the frame or you dont run.

Not being picky, but consider what will happen if some shmo not paying attention rear ends you and the chances of those fuel lines/fittings were to break with just a light tap.

If you dont know this already, when using a plastic tank like that is imperitive that you install a ground strap from the fill cap flange to the frame. Plastic tanks like this can generate static elec. and wouldnt want you or anybody have it go off when filling, In fact it is mandated in the NHRA rule book that all plastic tanks be grounded to the frame or you dont run.
Yessir, I did ground the filler flange. There was a label on the cell, or I may not have known that honestly.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back