Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"27 windshield frame

olguy

Hi,
My '27 metal body has had a '23 or so windshield frame, but has the '27 mounting posts. The '23 lower frame doesn't match the curved cowl. It's straight. Looks kind of strange with the openings at each lower corner. I really don't want to alter the body to fit the windshield frame, but $500 or so for a Speedway '27 frame is pretty dear. I thought about making some filler panels of wood and painting them to match the body. It's a "ratrod" but I 'd like it to look decent. I took a lot of pains to correct a lot of baaaad welds and make it safe to drive.
Thanks'
Olguy

Take some mild steel Dom tubing bend to the shape of the cowell miter the ends , make uprights and a top bar.
mill a 3/8" slot assemble frame. Look at speedway frames to see how to assemble and mount.

Her's the only pic I could find of the one I made for my '27;

27rat003Small-1.jpg

I took a legnth of 16ga., 7/8"od tube and welded a piece of 1/2" square into it and then formed it to the cowl and posts. Total cost, $15 in tubing and 10 hours time.

Ron

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'd take a shot at making my own but I don't have the facilities (or ability) anymore. I can still work with wood so I might take a shot at some hardwood spacers between the w/s frame and the cowl..I still have to make my dash , so the sawdust will be flying anyway. Barring that, I may just keep an eye out for one on Ebay.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back