Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

37-41 ford spindles

LILRED

Guys and Gals
I have wire wheels on my spindles with airheart front disc brakes. would like to try some gm rotor from 80s or something. I see some sell the parts but i have spindles and calipers already. anyone know bearing that would make these 11 inch rotors gm fit on the 37-41 ford rotor?
KenCIMG0435.JPG

Speedway sells a kit that is inexpensive . It includes the bearing adapters , bearings , seals the caliper mounting plates for the ford spindles . I would suggest the intermediate GM calipers they are a bit smaller . I purchased the 11 inch rotors and calipers from local autoparts store because of the shipping costs.

rooster57:
are those calipers 7/16 or metric bolts? what did you do for long brake hose?
Ken

Speedway sells a kit that is inexpensive . It includes the bearing adapters , bearings , seals the caliper mounting plates for the ford spindles . I would suggest the intermediate GM calipers they are a bit smaller . I purchased the 11 inch rotors and calipers from local autoparts store because of the shipping costs.

rooster57:
are those calipers 7/16 or metric bolts? what did you do for long brake hose?
Ken
Ken i suggested the smaller calipers because i purchased the large full size chevy calipers and wish i would have got the smaller ones. But the bolts come with the brackets. The hoses i sourced from a local hotrod shop. I think they were speedway though.

rooster57:
I think I want small , so intermediate. what yr any suggestions? also I see these things called banjo fittings and I think I have AN 3 so Speedway sells adapter for the Chevy caliper. Am I right on the banjo fitting?
Ken

Ken i suggested the smaller calipers because i purchased the large full size chevy calipers and wish i would have got the smaller ones. But the bolts come with the brackets. The hoses i sourced from a local hotrod shop. I think they were speedway though.

I am using the discs and calipers from a '74 Nova donor car. I cleaned up all the excess casting crap on the calipers for a cleaner look. This set up has performed very well for me. I also used a banjo fitting and a through the frame fitting with the braided stainless hose. Check out the following pictures.

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

Jim

I am using the discs and calipers from a '74 Nova donor car. I cleaned up all the excess casting crap on the calipers for a cleaner look. This set up has performed very well for me. I also used a banjo fitting and a through the frame fitting with the braided stainless hose. Check out the following pictures.
Jim

Jim: Did you make your own caliper brackets or did you get them from Speedway?

Jim: Did you make your own caliper brackets or did you get them from Speedway?
Ben, I did not get the mounts from Speedway. I bought them back in the 80's from Butch's Rod Shop in Dayton, Ohio. They are part of the "EX JUNK" that I salvaged from my '37 Chevy when I switched over to a Mustang II Front suspension. I also salvaged the axle and front spring that I cut in half for the quarter elliptic front springs that i am using.

Jim

383TBUCKET,

If you are looking to go the most economical route, make them yourself. Here is the info to do that:

GMCB.jpg

BearingAdapter.jpg

The seal for use with this is a Chicago Rawhide 17415 and the bracket plate is 3/8" material.

Her is how it goes together.

GMBrakeKit.jpg

And when you get done, you'll have a new appreciation for Speedway's pricing.
winkn.gif
Hope this helps.

383TBUCKET,

If you are looking to go the most economical route, make them yourself. Here is the info to do that:

GMCB.jpg

BearingAdapter.jpg

The seal for use with this is a Chicago Rawhide 17415 and the bracket plate is 3/8" material.

Her is how it goes together.

GMBrakeKit.jpg

And when you get done, you'll have a new appreciation for Speedway's pricing.
winkn.gif
Hope this helps.
GAB i think he has the Ford not the chev spindles. Great CAd diagrams though!!!!!!!!!!

Great pictures and drawings!
The amount of info-sharing here has impressed me from day one.

I'm using 75 Nova rotors. They are the same as a many models. Any decent parts store can cross-ref them for you.
I could get that info but not until next week when I get home again, if you can't get that from anywhere else.

I bought Chester's book, which has full-sized templates for a few different brackets to print out and transfer to 3/8 steel.
A guy I know has offered the use of his lathe for me to make the sleeves. Shipping and duty to here from the states makes it crazy to buy stuff.

Fun stuff. I wish I would have started decades ago. Maybe I would be done. ;)

Just a thought here. When I made the caliper mount for my VW calipers I made a disc the size of my rotor. I used 5/16" stock and drilled the bejebbers out of them. I like the finished look. JMO

discbrake001Small.jpg

discbrake002Small.jpg

Ron

I'm using the bearing that are for the rotor.
The outside is ok but the inside needs the sleeve (the middle drawing) to fit to the spindle.
Speedway sells it with the kit or in pieces I think. Check them out...
This will give you an idea...
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Brake-Kit-GM-1969-77-Midsize-to-Early-Chevy-Spindle,2013.html

This link has special bearings I think...
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bearing-and-Seal-Kit-for-Brake-Kit-910-31941,4305.html
I prefer to use standard, easily re-findable bearings.

Someone will straighten me out if I'm wrong. :)

Rooster 57,

The info is for using with a early Ford spindle. Here is what the completed installation looks like:

GMBrakeMountingKitonEarlyFordSpindle.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back