Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A Bit More Progress

choppinczech

Around last Thanksgiving I started working on my deck lid.

The first step was to lay it out and add brackets with clecos so every time I took it off and on, it goes back in the same place.
1.JPG

Then made a backbone to hold the lid's shape. Flipped over, it supports the lid during all the work ahead.
2.JPG
3.JPG

And cut.
4.JPG

Then made a steel brackets to hold the BMW trunk hinges and latch.
5.JPG
6.JPG

Then started this drop in mold. It was held in place with the same cleco holes made before.
7.JPG

After weeks of work, it ended up like this.
8.JPG

With the mold fastened in place and everything flipped over it was time to lay up.
9.JPG

The mold popped out much easier than I thought it would. I was expecting a fight.
10.JPG

Wow, I don't know what to say......but wow!!

Is there anything you can't make... Foose look out!

UNREAL craftsmanship!!! Hats off to you.

Jim

Thanks guys.

This was good training for making the full sized doors. They're going to be a real challenge.

I can't see me posting my glass work until Choppinczech is looking! He is my hero! Curse you for setting the bar so high! LOL

Did you make the whole body from scratch?

99%.

The only original part left are the rear quarters of the tub. Right in front of the back tires on both sides.

I am very impressed with your workmanship. Do you have a actual plan you are building, or what is your inspiration? It's very cool, and different, I always like different, just wonder what you envision the end result to be. One thing for sure, you will have the only one at the show!

I am very impressed with your workmanship. Do you have a actual plan you are building, or what is your inspiration? It's very cool, and different, I always like different, just wonder what you envision the end result to be. One thing for sure, you will have the only one at the show!

I like different too.

I've had this car in my head since I was a kid. The goal is a T roadster with modern styling. I guess my inspiration comes from all the high end sports cars and super cars I see that I'll never be able to afford.
McLaren P1.png
Hennessey Venom GT.jpg
SSC Tuatara 3.jpg

I'll just build my own poor man's super car.

Anything cool and different. Even well built rats.
6.jpg
This car has amazing engineering like self leveling suspension.

I like different too.

I've had this car in my head since I was a kid. The goal is a T roadster with modern styling. I guess my inspiration comes from all the high end sports cars and super cars I see that I'll never be able to afford.
View attachment 11844
View attachment 11845
View attachment 11846

I'll just build my own poor man's super car.
I like all things cool, not real big on brand loyalty, I have love hate feelings for some of most...I can find things I like about most machines. I always liked the cars that people built, nothing against production cars, I just don't want one that you can go buy just like it... And I grew up with more energy than money... I thought rats were junk until a guy at our local weekly car show brought his model a with a blown 454 in it... It was all original paint, looked ruff, but he had put some serious work into it and it worked well. I still struggle with leaving them look like that, but not being all dressed up doesn't make the girl less attractive, lol. I used to run a Pontiac, it was different than anyone else where I roamed, and faster than most. I wish I would have kept it. There is something about a 455 4speed in a light car that gets my blood flowing. I still can't believe I drove it daily...gas was cheap then. I must admit that watching your glass work has made me think about my project... I am not going to make any major mods, but feel it deserves to be brought out of its production state. I won't go into detail now, but your talent has inspired me to push a little past what I was going to do. Keep up the good work!

more energy than money

That's me to a T. I've waited 5 years to see it like this. Maybe another 5 to go?

Here's a better pic of the car's stance. I think I figured out how to get rid of my camera's barrel distortion. It was looking like I was using a fish eye lens most of the time. Even so, I just doesn't capture what your own eyes see.

3-1-16.JPG

I am sure that this has probably been asked before, but where did you get that body?

I am sure that this has probably been asked before, but where did you get that body?
If you go back about eight posts and you'll get the answer to your question.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back