Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A Bit More Progress

If I'm not mistaken that Steve Lang's Willis and his door details?

Wow, thanks Gerry.

I'm not sure if it's the Willys you're referring to. I have it saved in my favorites. It's Ianmerry's Journal on hotrodders.com.

The guy lives on the Isle of Man.

It's an amazing build.

If I may ask. What kind of work do you do for a living? Engineering??

I'm one of two maintenance guys for a small school district. Everything from delivering books to HVAC.

In some of your pictures you have the door and trunk lid being held on by what looks like big rivets. Exactly what are they and are they reusable? I love looking at the work you do.

In some of your pictures you have the door and trunk lid being held on by what looks like big rivets. Exactly what are they and are they reusable? I love looking at the work you do.[/QUOTE

Those are Clecos. Cleco is a brand name. There's also Wedge-Loc. Yes, with the pliers, easy to work with. They're spring loaded temporary fasteners. More commonly use in sheet metal work like aircraft or automotive body work.

They're sized like common rivets. 1/8", 5/32", 3/16" and different lengths (depth of hold). I like the 1/8"diameter with a 0-1/2" hold.

The clamps are also really useful.

DSCN0519.JPG

Something to keep in mind when you're placing your shocks .You're trying to dampen the vertical movement of the tire/wheel/ brake , so the closer to that weight you mount the shock , the more effective it will be , also , the more "off vertical" you are , the less linear distance the shock will travel making it less effective..
dave

I'm one of two maintenance guys for a small school district. Everything from delivering books to HVAC.
One of my first jobs was commercial maintenance. I didn't make much money, but Iearned an extraordinary amount of wisdom from doing basically everything from HVAC to lock smithing, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, you name it, we done it. My old boss, Bill, was one of the most talented guys I've met. Looking back, that job prepared me for a lot in life. It takes a lot to do it all well.

One of my first jobs was commercial maintenance. I didn't make much money, but Iearned an extraordinary amount of wisdom from doing basically everything from HVAC to lock smithing, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, you name it, we done it. My old boss, Bill, was one of the most talented guys I've met. Looking back, that job prepared me for a lot in life. It takes a lot to do it all well.

That sounds just like us. We do all the trades right here.

Here's a nice coil over mounting guide from Speedway. Hope it helps someone out. It's worked well for me in the past.

full

Here's a nice coil over mounting guide from Speedway. Hope it helps someone out. It's worked well for me in the past.

full
Fred, mine are spot on at 20 degrees and they work great.

Jim

Jim

Me too. 200 lb. springs set at 20°. And then I've two ways to adjust the load and ride height.

Obviously the spring adjustments, but also these serrated upper mounts.

5-9-15 2.JPG plate.jpg

Jim

My last ones were, but this go around, I'm going to be a few degrees towards vertical. Hopefully, ride won't suffer too much.

Wow, thanks Gerry.

I'm not sure if it's the Willys you're referring to. I have it saved in my favorites. It's Ianmerry's Journal on hotrodders.com.

The guy lives on the Isle of Man.

It's an amazing build.
Not to change the topic, but the willies site made be think... I love the '41 willies coup. I almost bought one just before I got the bucket.... It's still on my list...if I live long enough and finish or tire of my other projects, lol...

Well, I can't find any way to get these internal door hinges to work without the body binding.

Most cars, though having an outer contour, still have in-line hinge pins right against the door skins.
hinge profiles 1.jpg

These bodies have such a drastic difference in the side profile. There's just no way to it. At least I can't think of a way.
hinge profiles 2.jpg
I'm gonna have to with outer hinges.
hinge profiles 3.jpg
Oh well. My car's a real combo of old and new style anyway.

So it's back to the drawing board, cut off wheels, die grinder, spindle sander and welder.

3rd time's a charm I guess.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back