Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A Bit More Progress

Around last Thanksgiving I started working on my deck lid.

The first step was to lay it out and add brackets with clecos so every time I took it off and on, it goes back in the same place.
View attachment 11828

Then made a backbone to hold the lid's shape. Flipped over, it supports the lid during all the work ahead.
View attachment 11829
View attachment 11830

And cut.
View attachment 11831

Then made a steel brackets to hold the BMW trunk hinges and latch.
View attachment 11832
View attachment 11833

Then started this drop in mold. It was held in place with the same cleco holes made before.
View attachment 11834

After weeks of work, it ended up like this.
View attachment 11835

With the mold fastened in place and everything flipped over it was time to lay up.
View attachment 11836

The mold popped out much easier than I thought it would. I was expecting a fight.
View attachment 11837
wha
Around last Thanksgiving I started working on my deck lid.

The first step was to lay it out and add brackets with clecos so every time I took it off and on, it goes back in the same place.
View attachment 11828

Then made a backbone to hold the lid's shape. Flipped over, it supports the lid during all the work ahead.
View attachment 11829
View attachment 11830

And cut.
View attachment 11831

Then made a steel brackets to hold the BMW trunk hinges and latch.
View attachment 11832
View attachment 11833

Then started this drop in mold. It was held in place with the same cleco holes made before.
View attachment 11834

After weeks of work, it ended up like this.
View attachment 11835

With the mold fastened in place and everything flipped over it was time to lay up.
View attachment 11836

The mold popped out much easier than I thought it would. I was expecting a fight.
View attachment 11837
What's the secret for attaching the steel to fiberglass? I need to attach some brackets in bed with hood pins to hold deck lid down. I have failed on my first attempt

wha

What's the secret for attaching the steel to fiberglass? I need to attach some brackets in bed with hood pins to hold deck lid down. I have failed on my first attempt

Cooter, can you show a photo of what you're wanting to do?

I think I know what Cooter's talking about . . . fiberglass doesn't want to bond to smooth steel. What you may want to do, is create some holes or spaces in the steel piece, so that the fiberglass can bond through the steel to the fiberglass of the bed, thereby 'capturing' the steel. Am I right?:unsure:

271_zpsdorkgmxg.jpg

As you guys know, I'm running my exhaust under my car.

My plan for headers was to use some block huggers. But they won't work at all. Even with shorty plugs, they rest right against my plug boots. I also tried a weld up "shorty" kit. No dice.

So, here we go again. Gotta make some.

Starting with a pair of Hooker stubbed flanges-------

3-18-17.JPG

------- And a whole bunch of stuff.

3-18-17 4.JPG

Throughout the headers build will use templates---------

3-9-17 2.JPG
3-18-17 3.JPG

------- That are transferred to this jig I made for my band saw. I'll use it for bends and straight cuts.

3-18-17 5.JPG 3-18-17 6.JPG 3-18-17 7.JPG 3-18-17 8.JPG

Well that is going to be a welding project for sure.
Should be really cool when it is all done.
Does look a bit close to the frame on those two middle pipes,, remember that much horses is going to rock back and forth a bit weather you like it or not.

They're at 1/2". What do you think? Easy to change cardboard templates.

A 1/2" clearance should be ok I guess .. might want some other guys that have done custom headers to weigh in on this one.
I just had to remake my steering box mount because my tranny way 1/2" out due to a rotten mount.
I would hate to have to remake a header set.

These show the space a little better. 1/2" from the frame and 1/2" from the steering shaft.

Tube space.JPG Tube space 2.JPG

Chop, your craftsmanship on your build is only exceeded by your ingenuity. I really enjoy watching your build come together.

Jim

Stainless Steel?

That would almost have me thinking about a 'fancy' front plate for the engine and loose the trad mounts...

Chop, your craftsmanship on your build is only exceeded by your ingenuity. I really enjoy watching your build come together.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I stole this idea from these guys.

How it Works - icengineworks

They use the snap together blocks. I'm using my own marked templates. With this method there's no real measuring or angle finding.

Stainless Steel?

That would almost have me thinking about a 'fancy' front plate for the engine and loose the trad mounts...

I pondered about an engine plate. I like headers with a forward sweep. Like Sprints.

You have another project on your plate! I think 1/2" should be ok. I have a tenant who builds custom headers and he uses a blank flange to start with so he can angle the tubes right off of it to save space in tight quarters. Looks like you have room to make it work out with what you have. I've never liked block huggers either, you need short plugs, it's difficult to change them, and I've never liked the plug wire situation. It looks like a set of rams horn manifolds would almost workout, except for the flow issue and the motor mount.

Check this out. I read about this on the net.

My old friend, foil tape.

Holds joints like a vice. Gaps cut for tack welds. And you can join long segmented sections for mock up.

Foil tape.JPG

Chop, you are one amazing guy. You are a true craftsman. You should make a DVD on building complicated molds. I've seen nothing on youtube that even comes close to the things you make. I agree with everything EXJUNK has to say. I can't tell you how man times I've looked at your build. I can't wait to see it done. Keep the pictures coming. Love it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back