Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A Bit More Progress

you're critical flow number is not what the carb is capable of flowing , it's what the engine demand from the carb is ... i.e. , a typical n/a sb chevy only needs about 400-450 cfm at 5500 rpm

2o2f is right, you only need to worry about the engine's demand for air not carb. stats. I have a slightly more restrictive screen than that on a similar scoop with a Chev. 327 and it works just fine. I would be surprised if you have any problems.

2o2f is right, you only need to worry about the engine's demand for air not carb. stats. I have a slightly more restrictive screen than that on a similar scoop with a Chev. 327 and it works just fine. I would be surprised if you have any problems.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

My comment wasn't to denigrate Chopinczech's work at all, I think it's brilliant!! was just pointing out that some of the meshes can cause airflow issues, I've been building sports cars (Lotus 7 clones) and a few guys have found out how restrictive some of the perforated Ally mesh is when placed in front of a Radiator as a grille.
Regards,
Mike.

I think his work is amazing as well.
However I have gone through allot of air filters on my drag sled and had to re jet the carbs for every one.
More than likely it wouldn't be enough of a restriction for anything under 5000 rpm, and if you never plan on going over that you would never see an issue.
You will probably have to change the plugs after a 500 mile break in anyway with all the break in lube that should be on a new engine, but I would keep my eye on them after that.
If you feel it might be a bit restrictive when you are setting up your timing and tuning things just right you can always test it easy enough, just run a common 15 inch cheapo round chrome one for a 50 mile run, see how it works - check the plugs - then run your good one and
compare.

Just a side note : don't run synthetic oils before the first 1000 miles or so, the engine won't break in proper.

My comment wasn't to denigrate Chopinczech's work at all, I think it's brilliant!! was just pointing out that some of the meshes can cause airflow issues, I've been building sports cars (Lotus 7 clones) and a few guys have found out how restrictive some of the perforated Ally mesh is when placed in front of a Radiator as a grille.
Regards,
Mike.

No worries. All advice is appreciated.

I think his work is amazing as well.
However I have gone through allot of air filters on my drag sled and had to re jet the carbs for every one.
More than likely it wouldn't be enough of a restriction for anything under 5000 rpm, and if you never plan on going over that you would never see an issue.
You will probably have to change the plugs after a 500 mile break in anyway with all the break in lube that should be on a new engine, but I would keep my eye on them after that.
If you feel it might be a bit restrictive when you are setting up your timing and tuning things just right you can always test it easy enough, just run a common 15 inch cheapo round chrome one for a 50 mile run, see how it works - check the plugs - then run your good one and
compare.

Just a side note : don't run synthetic oils before the first 1000 miles or so, the engine won't break in proper.

There's so much good info from other builders in this forum.

Don't mean to side track the conversation but I noticed you took the NO OIL stickers off you new engine.
Have you done any reading on Zink for engine break in ?

I'd say no. Consider a modern fuel injected engine routinely goes 200K miles with low zinc synthetics w/o damage to valve seats .....

Awesome work! I used to be into Fieros and on the Pennock forum (for Fieros) there is a guy that goes by the name of Car-Lo. You and him must be related....you both are extremely talented! If you have a sec go to the forum and see what he is doing with an 88 Fiero.

Pennock Fiero Forum - Construction Zone - RBS In-Limbo

That's some good stuff. Guys like that (garage visionary's) are amazing. Just using his gut intuision, his eyes and his hands. Imagine what he could do using all of the CNC designing and manufacturing tools available.

Just have to love that sound.
I am guessing they already did a cam break in 2000 RPM for 30 mins or so.
Should be able to blow the doors off of just about anything that pulls up beside you..lol

Well I got this motor in over the three day weekend.

1-16-17.JPG

And I used every bit of the three days, because I had to redo my motor mounts to get it to sit level.

When I used this mock up block and stock manifold throughout the build, everything was based on keeping the carb mount of the manifold nice and level.

4-24-16 6.JPG

But notice the back angle of the block. All this time I never saw it.

So when I went to put the new motor in that has a level intake manifold, it looked like it wanted to take off like the Space Shuttle.

I had to raise the tail of the transmission, and lower the engine.

Luckily with all of the drive line changes, I have lots of adjustment in the rear 4 bar setup for the pinion angle.

Looking great and so low. Noticed you have repositioned the front RR down to underneath the chassis rail. I assume to get them level with the chassis. My kinda stuff TU.

Looking great and so low.

I'm getting a bit concerned on how low.

I'm looking for a Slam-Gaurd type oil pan like Jim's using. But haven't found anything for a stroker.

The pan on there is a "clearanced" stock unit I guess. I don't know what'd be involved in "clearancing" a 4qt. Trans-Dapt Slam-Gaurd pan.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back