Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A Bit More Progress

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

This is what the 1/4" groove is for. I'll epoxy it in along with the two halves.

12-28-16 7.JPG

I made the groove by rigging this up. The coarse narrow sanding drum with the depth bearing left a really straight and consistent groove.

12-28-16.JPG

Mounted in the table and powered by my cordless drill with a zip tie on the trigger.

12-28-16 3.JPG
12-28-16 2.JPG
12-28-16 5.JPG

I tips me lid Sir, damn nice work, to me it's the most interesting thread on here at the moment.
Regards,

Thanks guys.

I'm on to the screen and aluminum bezel now. I want to dry fit everything before anything gets epoxied together.

I roughed out the bezel on a scroll saw and wasn't happy with the size of these half circles at the mounting points. I wanted them not too much bigger than 1/4" screw heads and was absolutely dredding getting after them with hand files.

Bezel.jpg

Then it dawned on me that I could use the mounting holes as pivots. I chucked a stout 1/4" bull nosed router bit into my Redneck Mill and cranked it up to 3,000 RPM. Just took small (and I mean small) plunging bites, rotating up to my scribe lines.

12-30-16 2.JPG
12-30-16 3.JPG

A big bonus was the nice inside radiuses. I couldn't have ever done this with hand files.

Awesome work! I used to be into Fieros and on the Pennock forum (for Fieros) there is a guy that goes by the name of Car-Lo. You and him must be related....you both are extremely talented! If you have a sec go to the forum and see what he is doing with an 88 Fiero.

Pennock Fiero Forum - Construction Zone - RBS In-Limbo

Aside from a little more body work this scoop is done. Came out pretty good. But it was way, way more work than I had anticipated.

1-1-17.JPG

1-2-17 3.JPG

1-2-17 5.JPG

1-2-17 8.JPG

1-2-17 9.JPG

1-2-17 10.JPG

The concave curve on the bottom face of that scoop adds a lot of interest. Usually they are flat across the bottom, I like yours much better.

The concave curve on the bottom face of that scoop adds a lot of interest. Usually they are flat across the bottom, I like yours much better.

Thanks.

Viewed from the front it goes well with the shape of the windshield frame, firewall and radiator shroud.

Plus it gives me a little more room with the water filler.

You Sir, are an artist.

That is SO Nice! only other comment is that the perforated steel you've used across the inlet has reduced the intake area by something approaching 40%. It's amazing how much a lot of meshes reduce the airflow.
Regards,

That is SO Nice! only other comment is that the perforated steel you've used across the inlet has reduced the intake area by something approaching 40%. It's amazing how much a lot of meshes reduce the airflow.
Regards,

Yea, I'll have to wait and see how it does. It's the same mesh I have over my radiator.

They're 1/4" holes. I pondered over opening them up a bit with a 7mm step bit.

Before you do that, I would calculate the area of the holes vs the area of the carb throat. You may be surprised.:unsure:

That's a good idea.

Before you do that, I would calculate the area of the holes vs the area of the carb throat. You may be surprised.:unsure:

With the 1/4" holes I'm at 77% of the 5" carb throat.

If I were to change the screen to 7mm holes it'd be 94% of the 5" carb throat.

I wonder how much the air filter changes things? I mean how much air actually gets to the carb through the filter?

Is the 77% screen sufficient? Or do I need the 94%?

I can't remember exactly, but I seem to remember K&N commercials bragging about 90% airflow compared to other air filters.
Probably easy to look up.
I would think if you have a 33% airflow restriction from the intake, and another 10% restriction from the filter it would hurt performance and run rich.

your attention to detail is off the charts. i envy your glass skills.

your door hinge reminds me of how a gas filler door hinge works.

The air filter is doing all the filtering, you probably only need a very open wire mesh across the front to keep hands etc out. I'm thinking 2 horizontal wires and 3 verticals in a 3 mm (1/8") wire with the horizontal wires shaped to the top and bottom profiles. Would be wicked.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back