Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Adjusting rear coilover springs

Todd Honeycutt

hey guys im new here with tons of questions. My newly purchased t bucket has 33x21.50x15in rear tires and they are a little less than an inch from the body. my question is can the rear end be adjusted up an inch or so this looks like it would give me a little more clearance. also at the bottom of eachshock it says QA1???????????

As long as your coil-overs are adjustable, you can adjust them up and down. There should be a threaded sleeve and collar on the bottom of the spring. Jack the car up slightly to take the weight off the spring and turn the collar to raise the car (as long as you still have threads left showing). QA1 is the name of the company that manufactures the shock.

They can be adjusted by tightening the springs. I used a spanner made for adjusting. I also had to take the weight off the springs to do this. Remember this will also make the car ride harsher. I went to softer springs, but had to lower the upper shock mount to keep the unloaded body and chassis weight off the tires.
Lee

Also check for additional holes in the bracket on the rear end housing. You can go up a hole if you have one.

Actually you are doing it the correct way. When you raise your chassis by moving the spring up you also extend the shock shaft. If you don't have enough rod length left due to short stroke shocks then you can bottom the hydraulic piston internally and possibly cause shock damage. You need to have enough piston travel to allow full stroke and compression of the piston/shaft with out bottoming either way. By moving the shock mounting eye you don't change the stroke distance that has to be available.Also by leaning shocks over they don't need as much travel to get the same mount of body travel. Just don't let your shocks run out of travel in either direction and you will be good to go. Hope this is clearer then the mud it sounds like.

George

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back