Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Adventures in buying rims and tires

all-world1

Went down to a couple of local shops to check out tires and rims. I told the counter person in each shop the tire size I was looking for, and the rim sizes complete with bolt pattern....lo and behold....everything is computer inventoried by type of car. When you figure out the car that the tires or wheels are from, they then ask you the engine size. This is insane. Welcome to computer inventories...we were better off picking stuff out of catalogs.

I need a prozac.

Went down to a couple of local shops to check out tires and rims. I told the counter person in each shop the tire size I was looking for, and the rim sizes complete with bolt pattern....lo and behold....everything is computer inventoried by type of car. When you figure out the car that the tires or wheels are from, they then ask you the engine size. This is insane. Welcome to computer inventories...we were better off picking stuff out of catalogs.

I need a prozac.

I purchased the tires for my T from Tire Rack on line. I had to fill in the make of the vehicle.....Ha Ha Ha! Well I bought two different brands of tires and of course two different tread sizes for 15" rims. I received a CYA call to determine if I knew what I had done. The CS person was very nice and polite when he went over the information on the order as I verified it. Then he asked me about the vehicle and when he realized it was a street rod and I had done my homework he asked why I had chosen those particular tires. I told him that I felt they presented the best tread match in the sizes I wanted. He went to the trouble to verify that neither manufacturer made both sizes and said he couldn't offer a better match. I didn't get upset about the call because we each learned something from the conversation.

I purchased the tires for my T from Tire Rack on line. I had to fill in the make of the vehicle.....Ha Ha Ha! Well I bought two different brands of tires and of course two different tread sizes for 15" rims. I received a CYA call to determine if I knew what I had done. The CS person was very nice and polite when he went over the information on the order as I verified it. Then he asked me about the vehicle and when he realized it was a street rod and I had done my homework he asked why I had chosen those particular tires. I told him that I felt they presented the best tread match in the sizes I wanted. He went to the trouble to verify that neither manufacturer made both sizes and said he couldn't offer a better match. I didn't get upset about the call because we each learned something from the conversation.
Sounds like you stumbled on a winner...I'll give Tire Rack a try. How did you determine the make of vehicle?

I get the same thing when I stop at the auto parts store up the street. (Advanced Auto) I ask for a 65 Mustang non power brake master cylinder, and I get this blank stare... Then they ask for the VIN number... And trying to make them understand that the VIN won't help them is next to imposable. I find it much easier to visit there web sight, get the part number and then ask for it buy there part number.

I got my Hoosiers and Budniks at Discount Tire. They were great. I just gave them details, they placed orders online, called me when they came. Assembled and balanced them carefully and put them on the bucket with a torque wrench.

I know the kids call them rims, but the rim and hub together makes a wheel. :kiltdance:

Tire rack is a good place to shop. Even with shipping being almost the price of a tire it was still cheaper then buying up here.

Website is nice and allows you to search to by damn near anything about the tire.

I would recommend them!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back