Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Visited California Custom Roadster

one finger john

On April Fools day I went down to Chino and visited CCR. Nice little shop with one of their deluxe kits out front as a roller. The example's frame was extended 6 in. (for a blower) and had their long body, windshield glass, a complete upholstery kit, steering, nice rims and tires, and a set of top bows that were lower than normal (has the potential look of a real top that could keep rain out if you had side curtains made, kinda like Zippper Motors).
Inside, a small show room w/another finished frame (jag rear end), office, and then the work shop. There a couple of frame tables, fab tables, couple bodies, a 40 Ford, stuff, and another almost finished car. That car was a long body w/ a Model A cowl and was the second body out of the mold. The body set up on the frame about an in. to reveal a little bit of the frame (lets you sit more in the body, you can rest your elbow & forearm on the edge of the body comfortably). With these car it is a game of inches, an inch or two off and the whole look can be ruined. Also had a cut down Model A radiator shell. I would like to see how that one looks when it's done.
One thing that impressed me was that each car is made to order. You talk to them, they find out exactly what you want, how you want it, frame length, engine type and placement, etc. etc. etc.. Didn't have any regular size buckets w/ no doors, maybe moving away from that. I was impressed, kind of like a small Italian car maker, exclusive. Any input from anybody? I will address questions I have about frame and suspension in the appropriate sections.

Thanks, John.

P.S. Yes Ted, Diane is very nice and very knowledgeable about the little cars. Didn't ask, but does she own the place?

P.P.S. Great location, right next to Chino Prison !

one finger john said:
Any input from anybody?

Do it!!!!!!:):lol::D

Seriously, having the company within driving distance is a plus in my book. Saves on shipping and makes dealing with any problems easier.

If you like the look of their cars and nobody on here has anything bad to say about them, then it's time to pull the trigger!!!

Good luck.

Mike

I think CCR has researched all their products and only sells what WORKS i get a real no nonsense vibe from Diane and her son. They only want to sell what is in their opinion troublefree products. I haven't purchased anything from her that wasnt A+++++++++++++++ in Quality in my opinion.

They have made custom frames, custom brake mounts, custom steering arms, custom tail light brackets, and many other parts for me. When I started my 409 T, I took the engine block to them, and Jerry made the frame and engine and trans. mounts to fit, and fit is the key word. Everything they have made for me I have received as simply "bolt on", and they do have enough history and experience to know what works the first time. As you can tell, I am a loyal customer.

Jeff

one finger john said:
On April Fools day I went down to Chino and visited CCR. Nice little shop with one of their deluxe kits out front as a roller. The example's frame was extended 6 in. (for a blower) and had their long body, windshield glass, a complete upholstery kit, steering, nice rims and tires, and a set of top bows that were lower than normal (has the potential look of a real top that could keep rain out if you had side curtains made, kinda like Zippper Motors).
Inside, a small show room w/another finished frame (jag rear end), office, and then the work shop. There a couple of frame tables, fab tables, couple bodies, a 40 Ford, stuff, and another almost finished car. That car was a long body w/ a Model A cowl and was the second body out of the mold. The body set up on the frame about an in. to reveal a little bit of the frame (lets you sit more in the body, you can rest your elbow & forearm on the edge of the body comfortably). With these car it is a game of inches, an inch or two off and the whole look can be ruined. Also had a cut down Model A radiator shell. I would like to see how that one looks when it's done.
One thing that impressed me was that each car is made to order. You talk to them, they find out exactly what you want, how you want it, frame length, engine type and placement, etc. etc. etc.. Didn't have any regular size buckets w/ no doors, maybe moving away from that. I was impressed, kind of like a small Italian car maker, exclusive. Any input from anybody? I will address questions I have about frame and suspension in the appropriate sections.

Thanks, John.

P.S. Yes Ted, Diane is very nice and very knowledgeable about the little cars. Didn't ask, but does she own the place?

P.P.S. Great location, right next to Chino Prison !
Yes, Diane is and has always been the owner ever since I got a divorce from my X, and had to leave, so they would not be involved in my money problem with my X... She has always had a good ear, and a super attitude and learned well... A Very rare Woman indeed:)

Re: My experience with California Custom Roadster

I built a T about 40 years ago from a set of Hot Rod Magizine plans. Cut my own steel, welded, spent week ends in junk yards ... sold the car two years later after my wife decided to have kids.

Now that I have retired (twice) my wife said I needed a "project" ... why don't you build another T Bucket. Contact several different shops, lurked on many forums and decided to go with CCR. Didn't want to buy welder and all the associated tools that come with a "ground up" project. Bought their Stage 4 kit with a lot of extra goodies ... 4 wheel disc, chrome this and that, etc. I had weekly emails and phone calls with them on the status of the build and was very pleased when the truck showed up 10 weeks later with my order.

There have been "issues" ... like what the heck is this for? ... the latest was last night when the Sprint (chrome) headers were trying to be installed. Holes were as much as 1/2 a hole off. Called Jerry and he took the information. Called Diane this morning to verify the issue and 4 hours later I get an email from her that new headers are on the way.

CCR ... top shelf!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back