Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

AmericanGraffiti's Project Diary

AmericanGraffiti

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hello all!

I thought I would start a BLOG here sharing progress and problems on my build. I have really enjoyed reading the stories on this forum about what you have built and look forward to sharing mine with you. I'd say my skills pale in comparison to most of you...there are some beautiful examples of craftsmanship.

I bought the car about a month ago looking through adds on craigslist. Here are the photos from the ad. As you can see, it certainly needs some help :)

rat rod 2.jpg rat rod1.jpg rat rod 4.jpg rat rod 5.jpg

Since getting the car home (it actually ran!) I have completely disassembled it to the frame, and have spent the last few weeks cutting and grinding on the frame. I am now in the "mock-up" phase of the build and will share some updated photos of some of the changes I've made already.

I hope you enjoy this thread!

Thanks guys.

Perhaps the best time in any build is the mock up phase. I have the car somewhat back together again and have begun to lay it out to my liking.

What appealed to me about this car is its uniqueness. With a wheelbase of 124" it stands out as vastly different than most T Bucket type cars. The Z'd chassis enhances its stance as long and low. This poses a number of challenges, however,with nose height as the previous builder encountered. Well, I had this old Farmall tractor nose laying around from a previous project and it seems to have potential for this car: it fits low enough to match the cowl and it is thick enough to take up a lot of unused space on a car with such a long wheelbase.

It really is fun to mock it up, sit back, drink a beer, and look. Then get up, make adjustments, look again...drink another beer...think a little....adjust....you know.....

I certainly haven't landed yet on the look I like for the car but am enjoying the process!!! Thanks for looking!

Mock Up 1.jpg Mock Up 2.jpg

The mock up phase is fun! You get a sneak peek and gets the creative juices flowing that keep you motivated to keep going. Looking great so far!

Can the grill be moved forward enough to cover the spring perch? How would that look? Kinda like a track nose.

That's not a bad suggestion! I really like the look of a track nose, but I also like the front axle extended way out front of the nose....hmmmm....might have to mock that up and see what it looks like!

If you need the room a stretch body would be right at home on that frame.

I have been looking at the RPM stretch body, looks like a nice piece. I am not sure yet what I'll do. The interior right now has plenty of leg room, as I have relocated the steering box (which was originally positioned right where the driver's feet would be). I think right now I'll pursue working with the body I have...has anyone on here ever stretched the cowl of their own body?

The steering box on the car was originally located in the foot area of the body with a pitman arm through the side. It rubbed the body when you turned left. It was an old box that I have yet to identify and had about a turn of play lock to lock...too much for anything safe in my opinion. I also though the drag link was too long and was concerned about an increase in bump steer as well as drag link flex. So, it was time to relocate it as this would solve several problems: foot space, body rub, bump steer, and flex.

I purchased a nice Vega steering box and mount kit off Ebay for $119 shipped. Here is a photo of the new location which I think will be much better. Have any of you done this or is there a better location that might be recommended?

Vega Steering Box.jpg

Don't you want it mounted closer to the front so the drag link is more parallel to the axle?

That's not a bad suggestion! I really like the look of a track nose, but I also like the front axle extended way out front of the nose....hmmmm....might have to mock that up and see what it looks like!

Just my two cents worth and that's about twice it's worth but if you're going to run that front grill I would narrow to about the width of the firewall and move it back toward the engine. Then you could let the front axle and components hang out front and keep your wheelbase. Just a though. Good Luck!

George

The steering box on the car was originally located in the foot area of the body with a pitman arm through the side. It rubbed the body when you turned left. It was an old box that I have yet to identify and had about a turn of play lock to lock...too much for anything safe in my opinion. I also though the drag link was too long and was concerned about an increase in bump steer as well as drag link flex. So, it was time to relocate it as this would solve several problems: foot space, body rub, bump steer, and flex.

I purchased a nice Vega steering box and mount kit off Ebay for $119 shipped. Here is a photo of the new location which I think will be much better. Have any of you done this or is there a better location that might be recommended?

View attachment 10258
That's a common location for many cars and is about where mine is. You will just need to mount it at an angle so the steering column can connect. You will have to cut a hole in the firewall and run it that way, which is good because it gives you extra foot room. I believe the forum sponsors sell the mount you need at a very reasonable price...

Last edited:
I certainly appreciate everyone's thoughts and advise. I was thinking I would connect the steering column to the box with a shaft and u joints. I like the angled mount! I might have to play around with that idea!!!

I thought I'd add a photo of the rear suspension set up since it is rather unique. It is a 1/4" elliptical spring set up with radius rods on the top. The springs are very stiff with such a short distance, so I am planning to remove a few leafs and add friction shocks. It is solidly located laterally, but I am wondering if I need a panhard bar. What do you guys think?

Quarter Springs.JPG

I have a few updates to share, but I also wanted to show a side view pic of the car in the mock up phase. Pardon my messy shop, it doubles as a hot rod shop, race car shop, and storage for things we don't know where else to put ;) (My wife thinks so anyway!)

side view 3.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back