Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Another tunnel ram thread

smokeyco75

I was reading some of the previous threads involving the use of tunnel rams on the street and a thought occurred to me. With the issue of tuning this setup for street use it would seem two barrel carbs would go a long way in getting these setups more street friendly. Let's take a common moderately built 383 or 350 as an example. Would most people agree that most build perimeters would not require more than 650 to 750 cfm? So even running two 450 cfm four barrels you are far exceeding the needs of your engine. It seems to me a pair of 350 cfm two barrels would be the logical choice to get the cool factor of a tunnel ram without putting to much carb on top of the engine package. Heck I imagine even a big block would be happy with this alternative. Am I way off folks? I'm just thinking out loud here so please give me your two cents folks.

The primaries of many four barrels are smaller than a two barrel. That means they can meter fuel more accurately at low RPM. Also, vacuum secondaries only open to the extent required by the motor, so being moderately large isn't a bad thing.

Jack

Along with the fact that one of the biggest hurdles is the design characteristics of the intake, itself. The design of the tunnel ram simply does not lend itself to low-RPM use. So from the very first step, using that style of intake on a motor that is seeing street use becomes a compromise. In every single instance, making a motor happy is always going to provide a better end result, rather than trying to compromise.

But I like the way it looks. Let's face it, if it were my daily driver things would have to change, but I just use it to excite the other drivers and have a little fun.

What Mike said. A racing intake that is not meant to idle below 1000rpm and a powerband of 3800-7500+, well, its not meant to be. BUT, if you do this, that and the other, you can make them do well enough for a street ride.
Sure, it looks awesome, BUT, for the members that aren't into tuning all out competiton motors, it can be harrowing.
If a person wants to run 2- 4's, I'd say go with a 2x4 Alum. hi-rise intake. Alot more streetable, better mids, and thats where the action is at on the street.
I have built 900+ cu.in. mountain motors for the masses, and they're getting the alum. sheetmetal intakes running the 1050 Dom's, and they get to a point to where they want to be consistent during runs. They can run smaller motors on the bottle and run just as fast. A bigger motor, making things a little less wild, will get more consistant runs. The operative word here is consistant....
To run a motor on the street, if you have a all out motor that has a power-range of 3500-7500....your gonna be miserable. You'll have to burp the throttle constantly to keep her cleaned out, never letting her idle below 1100 rpm. Alot of this is the cam, some of it is in the heads, but alot of this is in the intake manifold itself.
IF, I repeat, IF you want to run a tunnel on the street, there are certain things that you will have to do. But lets not put the cart before the horse just yet. If your able to buy one of the new street tunnels, things will be better. All you have to do is buy the carbs they suggest for it. Done deal.
See, the new street rams are optimized for low rpm airflow, and the plenum volume has been designed for street performance. But still, this thing is a racing beast. And will act like one once you hang your foot off in it.
Now, if your a low bucks kinda guy, you buy a Weiand tunnel thats meant for racing or a TR-Y1....you'll have to do the usual small carbs, tune, tune, tune....

They can be made to run on the street, and I've had good luck with them. The only thing I have trouble with is a very slight stumble just above idle....but you can tune around that....

Alot can be said for the tunnels with the single 4 tops. Made mostly for boat racing back in the day. Get your favorite smallblock, add a good RV cam, good heads with some porting, some good headers, a tunnel with a single 4bbl, add a 650-750 doublepumper, and watch your rear tire tread disappear!
The single 4 tops are so much fun, they're freaky! I love them! The next cutting edge thing that seems to be working out great, A tunnel with EFI throttle bodys. They're awesome....in perfect tune all the time....and they idle great to boot.

Last edited:
One of our members has a tunnel, he took the plenum off, added a couple of adapters, and is running 2 -2bbls, runs great and all has no problems.
Just to check this theory, a friend of mine had a 283 roller motor he'd built about 20 years ago. The thing never did run right. Way too much cam, way too much carb for such a small motor operating at way too low a rpm. To run one like he had it, you need to spin it to 8800-9500 rpms. He shifted at 7800 and it wan't even making full power yet.

I took the old 12.5 to 1 pistons out, put in some 9.5 to 1 slugs, A Crane RV hydraulic cam, put on some ole stock reworked angle plug fuelie heads, ditched the plenum chamber off the tunnel. Machined a blockoff plate for the top of the runners, then set a pr. of stock 300 cfm carbs on top of these plates, scribed the bolt holes, scribed out the gaskets and went to work on the Bridgeport.
This little thing runs like a champ. I did have to put a small equalizer tube between the front and rear runners to get the part throttle response to be ideal. The thing runs fine....

If a person wants to run 2- 4's, I'd say go with a 2x4 Alum. hi-rise intake. Alot more streetable, better mids, and thats where the action is at on the street.
I wold much rather try tuning on something like the combination that @benT is using, rather than a tunnel ram combination.

One of our members has a tunnel, he took the plenum off, added a couple of adapters, and is running 2 -2bbls, runs great and all has no problems.
I bet if you had a way to record EGTs, that thing is a fuel distribution nightmare. I remember we had one combination that was set up for either a single Dominator, or a pair of 750's. On the dyno, there wasn't spit's difference between the two combinations. But the way that top was made, the dual carbs threw the motor out in left field, when it came to fuel distribution. We actually lifted some ring lands, because I was under strict orders to leave the EGT sensors unplugged. :rolleyes: That was a real pity, because data recorders never lie.

What Mike Said, the EGR's and the FAR's don't lie and are important tuning tools. Now that little 283 should have run terrible, with the TR base there. But, between the runners and the bottom of the alum plates I had backmilled a small 1/2" open area to blend into the 4 runners. The adapters I made were for the 2bbls also.
The only thing I could figure was the small pocket just above the runners and below the carbs acted as a small mini-plenum. Then when I added the crossover tube between the 2, that added some sync to the vacuum signals....
I started to throw the thing up on the flow bench and hook up to the sensors....but just wrote it off as a miracle....hahaha

Look up "real street tunnel ram". Colorado hot rods (?). Google it. Mr Fixit, member here, tried one and was totally satisfied. Interesting application. Really used ALOT of aluminum to form a plenum that works. Just $1500.00 (includes carbs) and you are down the road. Screaming Metal, check it out. What do you think?

John

Yes, one finger john, I remember! And I had heard of several others that were totally satisfied, also! Yes, they work. And the secret was the new plenum volume and the runners. The carbs were also optimized for those intakes, also.
Good price for a new setup, but some folks can't afford that, so they gotta go by the way of the old racing stuff.
But it can be adapted, though....;):thumbsup:

Last edited:
I am running the "tunnel ram for the street" setup from Colorado Hot Rod Parts on a Ford 347 stroker and it is a awesome setup! Very streetable. Great off the line and good response when you get into it at crusin speeds. It uses 2 QFT HotRod 580 four barrels with vacuum secondaries. I had issues setting it up, but it was issues of my own doing ... stall converter, timing, not enough cam, etc. I started with a stock 302 and finally replaced the 302 with the 347 from Blue Print engines. 2200 RPM stall, 34 degrees timing, bumpy cam, 415 HP ... the only issue I have now is keeping my foot out of it. Even with 3.08 gears, it is very easy to light the rear tires! :whistling:

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a Tunnel Ram for the Street too, just seems like the "Best of Both Worlds". Keep the look, get much better performance.

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a Tunnel Ram for the Street too, just seems like the "Best of Both Worlds". Keep the look, get much better performance.
A option that really has been getting alot of attention, and has been working really well is the Tunnel Rams, and using TBI....

I would love to see a dual EFI tunnel ram setup ... I read somewhere that someone did a dual EFI setup with one TB being a salve off the other one thus only requiring one ECU ... but, you are still looking at about $6000 for a setup like that ...:eek:

I would love to see a dual EFI tunnel ram setup ... I read somewhere that someone did a dual EFI setup with one TB being a salve off the other one thus only requiring one ECU ... but, you are still looking at about $6000 for a setup like that ...:eek:
Here ya go....

In a way I was disappointed with the normalcy of those 15 minutes. Starts and idles cold. Drives good, no drama. Would like to have more narrative on the install and things, maybe even prices. There has to be a way to put together an FI system (TBI) for less $6000.00. Also would cutting down the plenums or maybe making small adapters to mount the throttle bodies within a couple of inches to the lower part of the manifold be of any advantage. How much plenum volume does one need to comfortably power a 350 or 383 Chevy. Suppose it also depends on cam selection.

John
Hey, what 'bout two two barrels?

In a way I was disappointed with the normalcy of those 15 minutes. Starts and idles cold. Drives good, no drama. Would like to have more narrative on the install and things, maybe even prices. There has to be a way to put together an FI system (TBI) for less $6000.00. Also would cutting down the plenums or maybe making small adapters to mount the throttle bodies within a couple of inches to the lower part of the manifold be of any advantage. How much plenum volume does one need to comfortably power a 350 or 383 Chevy. Suppose it also depends on cam selection.

John
Hey, what 'bout two two barrels?
Yes to your questions, it has gotten easy. Last 2 I installed were install the components, plug up the harness, and drive it. That was with a healthy cam, almost 10:1 compression, tunnelram. After running less than 1/2 hours, they were ready for the customers....
It would take me that long to change just the jets in carbs.
Yes, they have them for 2bbl. carbs. Alot of systems are capable of Multi TBI's....
Prices run from about $1100 or a little less for the 2 bbls to $2200-3800 for the single/double TBI's....and its all plug n play, with its own small interface, no laptop needed.

I just installed a EZ-EFI on a 530 SBC, tunnelram, with a single 4Top on it. With a pretty healthy cam (.565 lift, 285 duration), it was very streetable, it really suprised me.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back