Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

anyone running a chevy v-6?

dunno125

I was thinking a little differently and thought a v-6 might be a decent choice to power a bucket. Anything from a 2.8 to a 4.3 were used in rear wheel drive vehicles and should be cheap as hell to get my only question is where can I get an intake and distributor for a carburetor? I think fuel injection defeats the simplicity of a '23 T.
Any help or suggestions would be great

I was thinking a little differently and thought a v-6 might be a decent choice to power a bucket. Anything from a 2.8 to a 4.3 were used in rear wheel drive vehicles and should be cheap as hell to get my only question is where can I get an intake and distributor for a carburetor? I think fuel injection defeats the simplicity of a '23 T.

The 4.3 is a 350 will two cyl removed. same pistons, similar rods (narrowed big end) valve train etc. Edelbrock makes a good 4 bbl manifold for it. Crower makes a nice street cam etc. parts are cheep. a non computer small HEI dist was used on trucks back around 85-86 that can be used as well. std Chev bellhousing pattern.
The 2.8 is kinda wimpy IMO for a T. I've owned many in Fieros and Blazers, but they never did much for me. People ask me all the time how to fix [whatever] on a 2.8 and I just tell them "the only thing I know about the 2.8 is how to remove them.

Cheers,
Russ

I guess I should also add: would I build another one? NO! I don't care what you do to a 4.3 (last one showed 282 HP) it still sounds like a V-6.

61347364.jpg

The 2.8 is the wimpiest of the 60 degree V-6s but the 3.4 can be pretty stout. It is the engine of choice for the guys who are modifying their MGBs. The MGB is smaller than a T but it is heavier and the V-6 doubles it's horsepower and hustles it right along. Speed equipment is readily available too. I think it could be a good choice for someone building a track T.

So the 2.8 is "wimpy"? I guess.. but some folks run 4-bangers and enjoy the heck out of them.
I realize they aren't a preferred motor by some, but I have a complete S-15 and I am either going to run that or a four.
I don't plan on spinning my tires much anymore.

I have an 8BA that I could put together but more money and time I don't have for this project ... and I'd like to put it in an A truck I've started gathering parts for.

As for simplicity of a T .. people run Jag and 'Vette rears. There's simplicity gone out the window.

Now.. all of this is just my opinion and I reserve the right to be wrong.
<

So the 2.8 is "wimpy"? I guess.. but some folks run 4-bangers and enjoy the heck out of them.
I realize they aren't a preferred motor by some, but I have a complete S-15 and I am either going to run that or a four.
I don't plan on spinning my tires much anymore.

I have an 8BA that I could put together but more money and time I don't have for this project ... and I'd like to put it in an A truck I've started gathering parts for.

As for simplicity of a T .. people run Jag and 'Vette rears. There's simplicity gone out the window.

Now.. all of this is just my opinion and I reserve the right to be wrong.
<

I put a 2.8 5-speed from a mid-80s Cammode into a 1970 MGB/GT. I sold the car before I finished it but the general consensus at the MGExperience forum is that the 3.4 is the way to go. That's where the 'wimpy' term came from. I can't speak from experience. I have a video clip of an MGB with a V-6 laying down a good patch of rubber so going from 85 hp to 160 has its performance benefits. There is a shop in the Belton, MO area that sells 60 degree speed parts for the roundy round crowd down there. The have cams, Edelbrock intakes, stroker kits and a myriad of other bits and pieces to make this little motor run real strong.

Make no doubt about it... I agree that the little, weak-cranked, odd-sounding 2.8 ain't no hemi.
<

But compared to a 4 I hope I'll be quite happy with the power of the V6.
I guess the diff here with me is $$$. I'm trying to build and scrounge what I can while having fun and being safe.
... I still haven't ruled out a 4. :)
Love to have fancy engine. Anyone got one to give me? Delivered? No?
I crack me up. :rofl:

A Jag actually isn't much harder to set up than a solid rear axle. Just looks complicated.

Ron

I am putting a 4.3 in my 27 and I am sure it will have plenty of power. I ran in around the neighborhood for a while on the s10 frame and it would smoke the tires easily. I have a edelbrock performer manifold with an edelbrock 500cfm 4 barrel carb with an hei distributor from streetsports they were selling on ebay but I haven't checked for a while their fax# is 423-288-7694. I put headman long tube headers on but I am not sure I can make them work as I don't have the engine in yet. I hope this helps

The 4.3 would not be such a bad choice and I just happen to have a perfect Edelbrock alum. intake and the HEI Dist. if someone needs it, couldn't get it to fit on the big block.......whats up with that...........ruggs

Whatever you do stay away from a 1995 4.3 it was a change over year so some things fit, some don't. I rebuilt a 95 and the damn thing ended up costing me as much as a new from gm engine would have.

They have plenty of power for a smaller car, but do not go into it thinking you will get better gas mileage, they are pigs!

This guy had a straight six with a ww2 theme and it looked real cool.

The secret to the V-6 Chevy, if you plan to lean on it at all, is the odd-fire 4.3. The common pin crank is as strong as the SBC cranks. And then, parts truly interchange between it and the 350.

At one point, I considered the V-6, with a set of splayed-valve heads like the ones on the race car. I figured it would provide a lot of Wow Factor, but the expense of getting the heads suitable for low-RPM street use was too prohibitive. Special intake, special valvetrain, special pistons all added up to more than it would cost to assemble an SBC.

And you bet, the V-6 has a distinctive sound -

[media]

That's an oldie but goodie. The car in the far lane belonged to some pals from NC, Randy and Garley Daniels.

This is my good friend Tom Buckley who is like a father to me. He taught me what I know and how to build the T. Note it is the 4.3 running air condition and we kept the fuel injection with a 5 speed. Trust me it'll roast the tires in a heart beat.
100_1292.JPG

The V-6 has a ver unique sound.....good motors though! Can be picked up cheap and be made to run....just depends on what you like. Really can't tell too bad when they get up above 5000 rpm, well, at least I can't, but I'm hard of hearing, but at idle.....I always think its missing.....Ha! I have to put my hand on the intake and rap the throttle to be sure.....

We just built a 4.3, stock heavy duty parts, Cam, shorty headers reversed to the front with 2 Holset turbos....., had to oring the heads....first run on the dyno and we blow out the head gaskets. Didn't hurt anything...it blew out that fast.

Good motor though. horses for 2500... thats a good price for scooting a light bucket down the road.....still sounds funky though....... But so does a hopped up inline 6!.....

Hey it actually works great. It cools the cab area or should I say the seating area and works up. And when your stopped it traffic. We will be getting ready to build a top sometime soon. But it really is amazing how good it works while going down the road though.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back