Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Attaching bed

dodgewade

I have a Classic Glass body with a 20" bed that bolts on. Should the bed be fiberglassed to the body? If so does anyone have any pictures of doing such? It seems the bed would break very easy if not glassed on too. Should both sides (in/out) be glassed?

Thanks,

I have a Classic Glass body with a 20" bed that bolts on. Should the bed be fiberglassed to the body? If so does anyone have any pictures of doing such? It seems the bed would break very easy if not glassed on too. Should both sides (in/out) be glassed?

Thanks,

First off, I have limited knowlege and experience in glass work, but I would bolt and align it after the body is on the chassis, then glass the in side of the bed to the body and fill the seem on the out side with bondo. My .02 Lets see what the more experience folk say

I have seen pictures of that product and it looked like the front was solid all the way across. Is that the way it is? If so, I don't think it would need to be glassed to the body. It is only holding the weight of the bed cover and paint! What is the quality of the body? I was thinking about buying one and making frames to fit the 8" stretched body for sale to those of us that want the extra room. Anybody else interested in something like that?

I have seen pictures of that product and it looked like the front was solid all the way across. Is that the way it is? If so, I don't think it would need to be glassed to the body. It is only holding the weight of the bed cover and paint! What is the quality of the body? I was thinking about buying one and making frames to fit the 8" stretched body for sale to those of us that want the extra room. Anybody else interested in something like that?

I purchased a Class Glass stretch body about a year ago. It is about 1/4" thick with a very good gel coat finish. I'm building a different style 23T and it would not be possible in a standard length body. I had my bed made 26" long and glassed to the body so it only had a 3 sided bed. The people there are great to work with and I met them when I picked up my body. I would buy from them again. I have pictures here and a complete build album on my my Face Book Alfred C Miles Jr

Al

If the bed fits the body curves fine, I would just bolt it on using big fender type washers on both sides of the bed flange to the body... If it does not fit worth a crap, then cut to fit and glass it on... That is what I would do... :)

Once again ted is right . Mine bolts on fended washers on both sides but i added some of the black foam seal the same peal and stick type used on camper shells. This provides a soft gasket and keeps the two from rubbing each other. I cant seem to post pics here for some reason or i would post one for you.
[/quote]

As Ted says, "No need to glass it on if it fits the body." The only thing I would add is to be sure to glass a floor in the bed to stabilize it.

Ron

Not really necessary to glass the floor to the bed, bolt it to the frame after it is on the body, just a couple of corner frame braces is all that it needs to hold fuel tank, etc. one or two small tabs and bolts is plenty to sturdy up the bed, like they say, it is only holding the cover and paint . and none of it is seen... :)

If your not going to glass the floor in the bed then you would want to seal the edges to keep debre out. My thought is if your going thru the trouble to tape or seal the edges, you might as well glass it in in the first place.

Ron

If your not going to glass the floor in the bed then you would want to seal the edges to keep debre out. My thought is if your going thru the trouble to tape or seal the edges, you might as well glass it in in the first place.

Ron

Had not thought about that part. Probably better to glass a floor in it. Had planned for it to house the fuel tank and battery.

absolutely no need to keep it sealed up tight, if you ever spill gas or want to wash off anything in there, nice to have plenty of exit room, no different than if you had the battery under the floor... Mine is open most all around... Never a problem since 1968... Spend the time and money on something that shows... Have a great New Year. :)

Well there ya go Wade ... 2 schools of thought ... the choice is yours.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back